Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI Bank and Program Change

Currently have 180 sets in a concert. I am successfully calling 128 patches via MIDI program change and would like to call the balance using a combination of Bank and program change. Is this possible within sets?

When I attempt to call both the bank and the program change I can see the correct calls in the MIDI Message Monitor but MS changes to the patch without the bank number. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

MainStage, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jun 17, 2014 8:17 AM

11 replies

Apr 28, 2015 4:28 PM in response to airjer23

Hi, I'm running into a similar problem and wondering if anyone can clear this up for me.

Does Mainstage 3 support bank changes from an external keyboard in addition to program changes?

I have 16 buttons on my controller, I'd like to assign 8 of them send bank changes for banks 1-8 and then the other 8 to send program changes 1-8. Then if i were to press a bank select button and then a program, I'd be able to access 64 different patches.

FYI, I'll be using the midi pipe application to assign the messages as my controller only send CC messages.

Thanks,

Ben

Apr 28, 2015 4:51 PM in response to benj00

You should be able to easily access 64 patches in Mainstage from an external keyboard without sending bank select numbers(they are for MSB and LSB MIDI messages. They are for selecting banks of 128 patches). More than likely your keyboard sends out the appropriate patch number. For instance, if on your keyboard you select bank 2 and patch 1, it would send patch number 17. You can check the MIDI activity monitor while pressing the above to see if it is the case.

Apr 28, 2015 5:07 PM in response to benj00

Hi,

The 16 buttons on my controller only send cc messages and I can only assign one message to them. There is no bank 2 or shift function on the keyboard.

Per my original reply, I'll be using midi pipe to send program changes but that will only give me program changes 1-16, I'd rather have buttons 1-8 assigned to bank select and then buttons 9-16 doing program changes, thus giving me 64 patches I can instantly access.

Thanks,

Ben

Apr 28, 2015 10:33 PM in response to lifenoise

Hi,

I appreciate your input on this thread. However I only need to know if:

A: Mainstage accepts bank change messages (MSB) to change banks. It seems as if MS2 did not, but the MS3 manual is unclear. On page 41 it states both that:

To select more than 128 patches, you can also set the bank number for a patch.

To select patches by bank, first send the bank select message, then the program change message.

Then:

The MIDI standard allows program change numbers with values from 0 to 127. If all available program change numbers in a concert are already in use, any new patches added to the concert are given program change number zero (0), but the number is inactive (the checkbox is not selected). Bank changes are not supported.

B: If Mainstage does accept bank changes, is there a midi implementation chart that details the MSB/LSB details for each bank?

Thanks!

Ben

May 1, 2015 1:55 PM in response to benj00

Hi,

Thought I would update this thread and see if anyone has any further thoughts. Spoken to apple support and supposedly MS does respond to bank change messages. I'm not sure what the exact parameters should be though. If anyone has any interest in exploring this problem further, I attached a screenshot to show my process. If its helpful I can post screenshots showing the midipipe process or set up a link to it. am following up with apple support and will post any updated info as I learn it.

I've seen a lot of posts online regarding this issue with people trying to resolve it but have yet to confirm that anyone did or that bank change actually works so it could be this is a bug within MS. I'm a little surprised there isn't a midi implementation chart for MS of some kind.

**one note is that the program change message by itself does navigate to the correct patch, but after sending the bank message it does not, suggesting that MS is receiving the bank message but it does not have the correct parameters. Any info or thoughts on what those might be or if there might be bug in MS would be extremely welcome!

Thanks,

Ben
User uploaded file

May 1, 2015 6:47 PM in response to benj00

Hi guys,

Just wanted to update this thread again. I spoke to Jason with Apple Pro App support and figured things out.

For Bank Changes: MSB is always 0, and LSB determines the bank number.

I used midi pipe to assign the MSB/LSB messages to 8 buttons that send CC from the controller, and assigned Program changes to the other 8. So my controller can now select 64 patches instantly in my concert which is all I need for on the fly patch changes anyway. It takes some tweaking with midi pipe to avoid duplicate messages, etc. Some channel routing and message filtering was necessary, but its pretty logical when you look at the flow of midi data. One note about midi pipe, if you make any changes and things aren't working as they should, close midi pipe and mainstage and restart midi pipe first and this should sort things out.

All in all, very doable!

~Ben

User uploaded file

MIDI Bank and Program Change

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.