Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get brand new hard drive to work. Disk utility states operation not supported when I try to erase or partition?

Without any success, I cannot get my hard drive to work in disk utilities. I am able to see the disk in the upper left hand column, but when trying to initiliaze the software always reads operation not supported. Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iMac G5 20"

Posted on Jun 17, 2014 9:42 AM

2 replies

Jun 21, 2014 12:13 PM in response to Adrian Hope

Very important to get this resolved before any grace period runs out - as you may not be able to return the drive without paying a restocking fee.

It may be a bad drive or as another poster said wrong for your system. In that case if the manufacturer cant set it working on the first call - it make take being upset to get to an engineer you can tell you the problem.

(had it happen with a removable backup mirror drive that was okay for every mac but the one I had at the time - and I bought it from the apple store!)

Cannot get brand new hard drive to work. Disk utility states operation not supported when I try to erase or partition?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.