Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

final cut express osx 10.8.5

Hi - I recently bought an iMac and tried to open Final Cut Express but it asked me to enter my serial number. When I entered the serial number I received a dialogue box that said the number was not valid. I have verion 1.0.1 and the 3.5 upgrade discs. But without a disc drive on my iMac I can not reinstall. Does Final Cut Express run on OSX 10.8.5. Can someone suggest how I can validate and use Final Cut Express HD? Thanks...

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jun 17, 2014 2:07 PM

11 replies

Jun 19, 2014 1:28 PM in response to pipndale

Not 100% clear which version of FCE you are using:

You just referred to FCE 1.01l, then referred to FCE 3.5. That hasnt worked in years, as I recall. I don’t remember the OS version it stopped working, I believe it was probably Snow Leopard.

You never actually said that you have FCE HD & whether you’ve tried that version. Best bet is check the Apple store about upgrading.

If it costs the same as the upgrade originally did - that’s $100 & a third of the way to Final Cut X, with FCE as a dead-ended product.

I’m running 10.9.3 (Mavericks) & Final Cut Express HD (4.01) works.

My most recent use was fairly light, but it worked all right. It worked just fine on earlier versions of the OS for me.

I can’t swear that everything works as well as it used to, but I haven’t noticed any big problems.

Jun 21, 2014 4:18 AM in response to CroMagnum

Yes, I know the feeling as I've a friend with a new iMac who insists on using FCE 4 in spite of the possible complications arising with new operating systems.

Last year I discovered that FCE and legacy FCP could do one thing that FCP X couldn't.

I had some old mini-DV films that I had edited and exported back to tape for storage.

I needed to get these videos back in the computer and naturally chose FCP X to import them.

After the lengthy real-time import I discovered to my horror that the hundreds of clips were all jumbled as FCP X had dutifully split them into their individual clips and rearranged them in the order they were shot.

After lengthy experimenting and questioning on the forums, it appeared there was no solution and the quickest way round the problem was to reimport using FCE which imported each video as a single long clip.

Jun 23, 2014 8:42 AM in response to pipndale

Hi - thanks to all who replied. To clarify...I have FCE HD 3.5.1 - I was able to locate my original discs. My initial problem was I was trying to register the product using the 3.5 serial number - my bad. It is now up and running on my iMac running 10.8.5.

I am now contemplating to purchase FCE HD 4.0 or forego that and make the jump to FC PRO X.

final cut express osx 10.8.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.