Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message: Mac OS X Cannot be installed on this computer Mac OS version 10.5.6

User uploaded fileHi there and thanks for the help. This is my first mac and I'm learning for sure. It was given to me and since it pretty old I wanted to restore it to it's factory settings. Did some research and decided to give it a shot. I had read that I had to change the hard drive to something called ZERO and and I had to completly delete eveything before I could insert the Mac mini Mac OS X Install DVD. Once I put in the DVD it had to recognise the blutooth mouse and then it asked me for a language and once I picked that the error message said: Mac OS X cannot be installed on this device. Now that I clcik ok it just leaves me on a main screen with options to quit the installer or go into the utilities. If I got to the start up disc my only options are the disc or a network which I'm not on. What could be my next step. I know its old but it's a start. Thanks for your help in advance

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Jun 17, 2014 4:23 PM

4 replies

Jun 18, 2014 2:18 AM in response to borntobemax

There's either something wrong with your hard disk or it's the wrong Install DVD.

To rule out the DVD:

- go to http://www.everymac.com/ultimate-mac-lookup/

- enter your Mac mini's serial number into the search field, click on "Lookup"

- click on the "Mac mini ..." link above the product picture

- look for "Pre-Installed MacOS"

To get your hard disk ready for installation:

- boot the Mac mini from the DVD

- start "Disk Utility" from the "Utilities" menu

- click on the hard disk on the left side of the window

- click on "Partition" on the right side of the window

- change "Partition Layout" to "1"

- change "Name" to "Macintosh HD"

- make sure "Format" is set to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)"

- click on "Options" and make sure "GUID Partition Table" is selected

- click OK

- click Apply

- after Disk Utility is done formating your hard disk, close it and try to run the installer again

Jun 18, 2014 2:29 AM in response to borntobemax

The gray install DVDs like yo have only work with the Mac model thyy were shipped with. An instal DVD shipped with an iMac will not install on a Mac Mini. A DVD install disk shipped with either an earlier or later model Mini will not work either.

You have a couple of choices:

- You can call Apple (1-800-MY-APPLE) and and order original install DVD. YOu need the serial number of the Mini which is on the back or bottom of the Mini and a credit card

- If your Mini has an Intel processor, yo can order this disk:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

How to identify Mac mini models

- Purchase a install disk frpm a place like Amazon. You need black retail install disks. You need a full instllation vice an upgrade.

Jun 19, 2014 8:37 PM in response to bigschwabbel

you were right, when I searched the serial number I found out it was the 10.3.7. I found that disc and was very happy to put it in but it tells me that the Bundled Software cannot be installed on this computer. I'm lost. Is there a way to just delete every thing so that when I start the computer with the appropriate disc in it it will all just install by it's self?

Jun 19, 2014 10:28 PM in response to borntobemax

That thing is really old. Mac OS X 10.3.7 (a.k.a. Panther) was shipped by Apple from Dec. 2004 - Feb. 2005. Your Mac must be from around that time.

Installing 10.3.7 doesn't make much sense in my opinion, unless you insists on having the original OS installed for historical reasons. You won't be able to do much with it though. There is very little to no current software that still runs on Panther.

Your Mac has a PPC architecture, that means the CPU is not a modern Intel CPU but an outdated IBM PowerPC CPU. So you're even more limited to what software can run on your Mac.

Your Mac can only run Mac OS X up to version 10.5.8 (PPC support was dropped with 10.6). And even 10.5.8 is outdated since July 2011 and doesn't receive any security updates from Apple anymore.

I personally wouldn't put too much effort into this old machine. It's more or less useless if you plan to do real every days work with it.

Error message: Mac OS X Cannot be installed on this computer Mac OS version 10.5.6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.