Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2012 Macbook Pro won't recognize new SSD after (presumably) a HDD failure.

First off, here are my Mac's specs:

Mid-2012 13'' Macbook Pro

2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

4GB of RAM (never changed it from when I bought it)

500GB Hitachi HDD

Intel HD Graphics 4000

So this morning, I plugged in my USB mouse and all of a sudden a grey loading circle came about. It froze, so I decided to reboot the machine. After the initial startup sound, a grey folder with a flashing question mark shows up. After searching through the forums here and elsewhere, it is apparently a faulty/corrupted HDD.

I then took out the hard drive and bought a new internal SSD (Crucial M500 2.5'' SSD with 240GB of storage) and replaced the initial HDD with the SSD, but the folder with the question mark popped up again. I then booted again but this time holding down the Option key. I tried using disk utilities from the Internet Recovery option, but the computer won't recognize the new SSD. It only has "Disc0" with "Mac OS Base System" right underneath it. This seems as though this is the start-up partition, correct? All of the options to partition and erase the drive are grey and dimmed out.

How do I get the new internal SSD working with a fresh install of Mavericks?? Do you guys think maybe the connecting cable for the HDD is faulty, not the HDD itself? I really would like to do this myself instead of going to the Apple Store as I am a little tight on money at the moment. Also, I do not have with me an install disc 😟

Thanks for reading, it is greatly appreciated!

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Jun 17, 2014 7:44 PM

18 replies

Jan 30, 2017 8:43 AM in response to nathanbrush

Hi. I was having the same problem with HDD only my Mid 2012 MacBook Pro was going very slow and over heating so I bought a new HDD tried that out and was still having the same issue. I just installed an SSD drive booted up in recovery mode and formatted the new hard drive and re installed OS. Now my computer started to run faster and cooler than ever until a week later I started getting that grey screen as if t wasn't reading the new SSD. So long story short here I put in a new Hard drive flex cable and problem solved mac runs like new and faster.... It's an easy fix

Jan 30, 2017 1:23 PM in response to lsadiohc

A couple of observations:

1. A visit to the Apple Store Genius Bar is free of charge. Best to make an appointment as they are often busy.

2. This particular Mac, the mid-2012 13" MBP, has a known issue with the hard drive cable failing over time, often after 3-4 years. If you are short on cash, this is something you can do yourself. Cables and instructions are available from PowerBook Medic and ifixit. It's a fairly simple procedure, and shouldn't be too expensive even if you have someone do it for you.

Good luck!

May 16, 2017 8:13 AM in response to lsadiohc

I recently had this same issue. I brought my Mac to the Apple store and the genius bar told me this was a common problem on mid-2012 MacBooks. There is a bracket holding the hard drive that fails, causing the cable to the hard drive to fail. Believe it or not, Apple has recognized this issue and the repair was completely covered under a warranty, even though I brought mine in 5 years after purchase. They sent my laptop out to get fixed, and I got it back in the mail the same week. I didn't spend a dime for anything.

Jun 17, 2014 8:05 PM in response to lsadiohc

Isadiohc,

your Mid 2012 MacBook Pro didn’t come with an installation disc, so that’s of no concern.

If you reïnstall your Hitachi HDD, you could try the following steps to see if they would repair it: boot your MacBook Pro into Recovery mode by holding down a Command key and the R key as it starts up. Once the OS X Utilities menu appears, select Disk Utility. On the left-hand side of the Disk Utility window, select your internal disk’s boot partition (typically called “Macintosh HD”). On the right-hand side, select the First Aid tab if it’s not already selected, then press the Verify Disk button if it’s not greyed out; if it is greyed out, or if it reports that errors were found, press the Repair Disk button. Once the verification/repair is completed, exit Disk Utility and select Restart from the Apple menu to restart in normal mode. Does it get past the grey folder with the flashing question mark now?

There’s a chance that your internal SATA cable is faulty, but there’s no firm evidence yet that that’s the cause of the problem. Do you have access to another Mac? If so, buy a SATA-to-USB adapter (they’re not expensive), and try connecting your SSD externally to the other Mac, running Disk Utility there to reformat your SSD. Once it’s been reformatted, try reïnstalling it in your MacBook Pro to see if OS X Internet Recovery will properly download your MacBook Pro’s original version of OS X from Apple’s servers.

Jun 17, 2014 8:43 PM in response to Melophage

Thanks for the reply Melophage. So I reinserted my old hard drive and went into the disk utilities as per your instructions.

However, there is no partition called "MacintoshHD" on the right hand side. There is only a "Disc0" with "Mac OS Base System" right under it. I was able to verify the "Mac OS Base System" and it said it seemed OK. I was not able to do the same thing to "Disc0".

Any clues?

Jun 17, 2014 9:01 PM in response to babowa

Babowa, thanks for your reply!

I did not do any formating of the sort, I just inserted it into the drive bay. How would I go about doing this if disk utilities can't detect the SSD in the first place? Would I have to format it on another computer? I currently do not have access to another Mac as of this moment unfortunately.

EDIT: If I were to go to the Apple Store with my new SSD and old HDD, how much would you guys reckon it would cost for a diagnosis?

Jun 17, 2014 9:49 PM in response to lsadiohc

Well, it can't detect it because it doesn't have an OS installed and it's not formatted. Do you have a bootable clone you can boot from? If so, boot from it and use its' Disk Utility to format your drive.

FWIW, taking it to the Genius Bar is a good idea; getting a ? means the drive can't find the system. It might (or might not) have been easy to fix: simply boot into recovery and repair the drive. Or there may be other problems. In any case, if you cannot access your old HD, you can try recovery. Not sure if it'll work: hold down Command + Option + R while booting up until you see a progress bar and spinning globe. It'll take a while to connect to Apple's servers. Once you see the Utilities window, choose Disk Utility and format the new drive. If that works, then choose to reinstall the OS.

Jun 17, 2014 10:09 PM in response to babowa

Ah OK so where I went wrong is that I did not format and install the OS on the SSD, correct?

Unfortunately, I do not have a bootable clone either to boot from. Guess I'll have to bring it to the Apple Store after all..

Wonder why this whole problem came about in the first place. I didn't drop the laptop or anything. Literally all I did was plug in a USB mouse this morning and it froze (most likley just a coincidence though).

Jun 17, 2014 10:12 PM in response to lsadiohc

I upgraded my MBP to an SSD: I installed the new SSD in an external enclosure, plugged it into the MBP, formatted it and cloned my system to it. Then I switched the two hard drives and was able to boot up from the new SSD instantly since it had been formatted and my system installed on it. So, if you can boot up from your old hard drive, I'd try that method. Or take it to the nearest Genius Bar (take both drives with you).

2012 Macbook Pro won't recognize new SSD after (presumably) a HDD failure.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.