Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Audio Apps Too Much For G5?

I'm currently on a G5 DP 2.3 with 4.5Gb RAM and having this issue:
Garageband 08 and Logic Express 7.1 send the fans crazy - even when playing back one single track - I have performance set to reduced in power settings and CPU load during this is between 50 - 60% ie negligible.
By contrast Propellerheads Reason 4 can run 10 tracks of software instruments without the fans even murmuring.

As a comparative test, I played 4 480p h.264 movies at the same time to push the CPUs and even with CPU load at 160% the fans were still quiet.

Is it possible that CPU load can discriminate between the type of work being done? I'd have thought not?

Further testing:
Just imported 4 stereo tracks of high quality aiff audio into Audacity and played them back - no fan noise at all.
Import 1 stereo track of same audio to Garageband and play back - fans go crazy again.

I haven't come across this before - I was previously using a G5 iMac 1.8 and a G5 Quad - they'd both fire up the fans during any heavy task, whether it was audio, graphics or video.

Has anyone experienced similar or got any thoughts?

I haven't had any kernel panics or crashes yet but I'd rather prevent rather than cure.

PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jun 18, 2014 2:29 AM

4 replies

Jun 20, 2014 8:23 AM in response to Dronecatcher

If it seems too much, run the hardware test that came with the Mac. Also, note, if the machine does eventually shut down on its own accord, it probably is overheating.

See what I have to say about heat:

kmb kmbp: How to deal with MacBook Pro and MacBook heat?

Note, some PowerMac G5s have liquid cooling, and that can sometimes start leaking or malfunction. You may want to research that to see if your machine is affected. Also during the G5 era, some capacitors were found leaking. It mostly affected iMacs and non-Apple machines. But it is possible your PowerMac G5 might have a capacitor leaking.

Jun 24, 2014 5:06 PM in response to Dronecatcher

I guess you are already using /Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor.app to see what the CPU load is. Fan speed is probably more directly related to CPU temperature. Have you tried running Temperature Monitor for additional diagnostics? Maybe an older version of GarageBand might not be as taxing as the 2008 version, if you can dig up an older version like 2005, maybe.

Jun 25, 2014 12:55 AM in response to Glen Doggett

Thanks for the replies.

I've been using Hardware Monitor to show temperatures in relation to fan speed - when this problem occurs CPU goes from 58 to 79 degrees.

I've narrowed the problem down and in the process made it even more frustrating. In Garageband and Logic, even with no audio or MIDI tracks at all, the fans kick in as soon as I press play and the 'play head' starts tracking across the screen. If I minimize the window into the dock - the fans wind down - it's some bizarre relationship between these programs and screen sync/refresh I guess? But I've never come across it before.

Yes, I use Activity Monitor to read out the CPU load - it's usually around 50% while this is occuring. When I use similar software (Reaper, Audacitiy, Reason) this problem doesn't arise at all and as I said before, pushing the CPUs to 150% playing videos doesn't even bring the fans up (Reduced setting in power options BTW).

Audio Apps Too Much For G5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.