Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

12" iBook G4 vs 12" PowerBook G4

Hi,

My MacBook has been diagnosed with a logic board fault that is preventing it from charging and will cost a lot to get repaired. Unfortunately this has come at a time when I have no money to do anything about it and I need a laptop for uni work. My budget is about £150, tops. I have found two laptops that seem to be in very good condition within my budget, both are late 2005 models. Their specs are as follows:

iBook G4 12"

1.33GHz G4

768MB RAM memory

40GB Hard Disk capacity

SuperDrive CD/DVD read/write

Mac OS 10.4

(Also comes with all original documentation, long- and short- cord charger, system disks (Which presumably also include iLife?) and a wireless apple pro mouse. However, does not come in original box.)

PowerBook G4 12"

1.5GHz G4

1.25GB RAM memory

80GB Hard Disk capacity

SuperDrive CD/DVD read/write

Mac OS 10.5

(Comes in original box with long- and short- cord chargers, but the listing makes no mention of documentation or system disks. It does come with a copy of iLife '06 pre-loaded, although unsure of whether disks for this will be included.)

I'd basically just like some buying advice and to know as much relevant information about these two models as possible before I make a decision. It's unlikely I'll be coming into any more money any time soon and the laptop will have to last a few months to a year before I'll be able to afford to either get my MacBook repaired or buy a new one. Should I risk buying a laptop that doesn't have the system disks with it? Does either model have any reliability/durability issues to look out for? Which will offer better performance? (I know the PowerBook is more powerful but will it handle 10.5 as well as the iBook will handle 10.4?) Also, I have a personal preference for 10.4 over 10.5 - what is the state of 10.4 these days? I know that Adobe no longer produce flash for 10.4 and that you have to use TenFourFox as a browser....

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance, and sorry about the essay,

LSRW

Posted on Jun 19, 2014 3:59 AM

15 replies

Jun 19, 2014 5:32 AM in response to LSRW

Good Morning!

Both computers will run Leopard so take that out of the equation. The PowerBook has better video hardware.

Both have the same Max RAM limit--1.25Ghz you'd need to add RAM to the iBook to be happy with Leopard, plus you have to find expensive retail install disks on the open market. Apple does not sell Leopard any more. Don;t buy a gray system install/restore disk. If that disk is not the exact version that shipped with the computer, it will likely not work. A real Leopard install disk looks like this:

User uploaded file

Before going farther, I'd like to know if you understand the limitations of any G-series Mac with the Internet? Browsers are limited and even the best give slow performance; web video is very difficult to use.

If you need the computer for checking e-mail and using a productivity suite, either will work but the Power book is the better deal. It already has Leopard so that saves you a lot, and the RAM is already maxed out. You'd need to invest additional money in the iBook to give it any semblance of parity with the PowerBook.

Jun 19, 2014 6:30 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hi Allan,

Thanks for your reply. All I really need the laptop for is Office/iWork, email and web browsing. I play the odd game occasionally but I'm not really a gamer and the games I play are mostly old. I do have some experience with G-series macs but I haven't used one since 2008 when I traded in my G3 tower for an Intel iMac. I don't ever remember having problems viewing YouTube videos on it but I have heard that there are issues with online video and PowerPC so perhaps things have changed since then? I don't want to spring for Intel as it instantly seems to add £100 on to the price, and on top of that both my previous MacBooks actually cracked and started to fall apart, which the older models seem not to do so much.

Also, you seem very much to be suggesting that I would have to upgrade the iBook to Leopard anyway... is this because 10.4 is really too out-of-date now? I would actually prefer Tiger because of both personal preference and because I have a tonne of OS 9 stuff on an external hard disk that I would love to be able to use again.

Thanks again,

LSRW

Jun 19, 2014 6:51 AM in response to LSRW

LSRV wrote:

I haven't used one since 2008 when I traded in my G3 tower for an Intel iMac. I don't ever remember having problems viewing YouTube videos on it but I have heard that there are issues with online video and PowerPC so perhaps things have changed since then?

I think in 2008 there was still workable Flash support for PowerPC Macs. Today just about every video codec seems optimized only for Intel.

Also, you seem very much to be suggesting that I would have to upgrade the iBook to Leopard anyway...

That wasn't my intention. I was suggesting that, were Leopard important to you, you'd have to spend money on the iBook whereas the PBG4 already has Leo. I, too. still like Tiger. I still have a "triple-boot" G4 MDD minitower that can boot OS9, 10.4, or 10.5 and I find myself seldom using 10.5---10.4 was a workhorse.

Neither of the notebooks you list will boot into OS9. However, as you say, with Tiger you still have the Classic environment. It won;t run every OS9 app properly but should handle the simpler stuff.

Jun 19, 2014 7:25 AM in response to Allan Jones

Hi Allan,

That's good news on the Tiger front then, although it seems that the PB might be a better buy anyway. The fact that the PB might not come with the original system disks wouldn't be a concern to you at all? The video thing is a slight concern for both of them... just how bad is it on your G4 minitower and would it be better or worse than either of these laptops?

LSRW

Jun 19, 2014 7:55 AM in response to LSRW

The fact that the PB might not come with the original system disks wouldn't be a concern to you at all?

Ah, didn't pick that up. The new forum layout with the tiny default font is getting to me. The lack of orig disks is always a concern. I have full install disks going way back so it would not affect me but I can see how that might be a deal-breaker. After all, even the full retail install disk allow you to boot from the CD/DVD and run Disk Utility when there is a problem.

The G4 MDD is a 1.25gHz single-processor with 1.75GB RAM and the ATI Radeon 9000 64MB video card. Video tends to look like a slide show. I've moved to using TenFourFox for the browser and it does better than the old versions of Safari. I have found a number of FireFox add-ons for 10-4-Fox that prevent sites like Twitter, Google and other from tracking. Those functions are also optimized for Intel and are transparent on an Intel Mac but, left in place, are a major drag on a PPC Mac browser.

The problem with TenFour Fox is that the current version does not allow plug-ins so getting any version of Flash to work will exercise your futility.

The only PPC Mac we have that almost tolerates web video is a last-model eMac 1.42gHz with 2MB RAM and the ATI Radeon 9600 chipset (64MB VRAM). That video chipset is better than the 9000 in the MDD so that may be helping.

The 1.5ghz PowerBook has the best shot at almost playing web video.

Check out TenFour Fox here:

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

You can use plug-ins with their version 17, available here:

http://code.google.com/p/tenfourfox/downloads/list

Jun 19, 2014 8:17 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thank you so much for your help... I would be interested to know which add-ons you use to prevent tracking? I have messaged the seller for the PowerBook to ask if the system disks will be included... if they are i'll buy it, if they're not then I'll go for the iBook. YouTube videos really aren't something that I use a lot, it's more just something that would be nice to know i could do if I needed to. I'm using my partner's Advent laptop to post this now, and I really can't stand it much longer... windows keep flying across the screen or disappearing altogether, text jumps around the page as I'm trying to type and overwrites everything else, and i can't click on anything without highlighting everything to the left and right of it... I want a laptop that I know how to use! lol... it only has to last a few months to a year anyway, so...

Again, thanks very much for your help,

LSRW

Jun 19, 2014 7:26 PM in response to LSRW

Sorry to be late responding. These forum changes have left me and a lot of the other upper-level contributors punch-drunk. Terrible stuff!

The add-ons I used to stop the outside linking have Disconnect" in the name; ex.: "Twitter Disconnect". One that is titled only "Disconnect" may cover all bases. I can't run TenFourFox on teh intel Imac I'm on now but finding the extensionsin TFF is about the same:

1) Go to Tools > Add-ons

2) Click the "Get Add-ons" option:

User uploaded file

3) There is a search window to the right of the area I captured. Search for "Disconnect."

I have the anti-Twitter version on the Intel iMac for some reason:

User uploaded file

Jun 20, 2014 1:03 AM in response to LSRW

The specs for the last model (mid-2005 12" iBook, 1.33GHz and 14" 1.42GHz) both

state a 1.5GB total RAM capacity, because there is a 512MB RAM soldered on-board

and the upgrade slot accepts up to 1024MB PC2700 SODIMM RAM. So if you are

being told the iBook G4 is a last model (mid-2005) the numbers are in error and do

not match the specifications.

You posted a duplicate.

Had I known, before attempting a reply given the navigational issues of this 'recently

revised' ASC discussions site, I would have asked a Host to delete it -- but I didn't.

Since I have both of these computers (one well-researched PB 12" G4, dysfunctional;

and one as-new owned since 2005 iBook G4 12" mid-2005. I have more than a passing

understanding of these and their respective issues. Also first-edition dual USB iBook G3.

I've had mostly PPC Mac with exception first-edition MacBook 13" coreduo 1.83GHz.

Was the MacSafe Board determined to be a partial defect in your MacBook? It is on

the logic board but is a repair that isn't very expensive to restore charging. Or DIY

using http://iFixit.com site with links to their repair guide for portable mac computers.

Good luck & happy computing! 😐

Jun 20, 2014 4:35 AM in response to Allan Jones

That's brilliant Allan, you've been really helpful, thank you so much. The seller for the PowerBook replied and apparently he will be including the original 10.4 system disks, as well as the 10.5 upgrade disks and for some reason some 10.3 disks too. He will also be including a protective sleeve for the laptop itself which is a nice bonus. There's still a couple days left on the auction though, so I'm hoping the bidding doesn't escalate too much - it was stuck on £80 for a few days but shot up to £130 last night. Oh well, if I don't get this one there's always the iBook...

Thanks again,

LSRW

Jun 20, 2014 4:46 AM in response to K Shaffer

Hi Shaffer,

Thanks for your reply. No, unfortunately it wasn't the Magsafe board that was faulty - originally the guy in the shop thought that it was the Magsafe board too but replacing it didn't solve the problem - apparently it's the logic board itself. Fortunately, they just took out the new Magsafe board and didn't charge me for it.

I'm a little confused about the iBook... which part of the specification exactly is wrong? It has 768MB RAM memory so surely that would just mean that it wasn't fully upgraded with the largest card that it could accept? Or will it only accept a 1GB card?

I'll remove the duplicate now - I reposted because I didn't think that it had posted first time...

Thanks, LSRW

Jun 20, 2014 10:17 AM in response to LSRW

If you have an older iBook G4 (2004?) those have 256MB RAM on-board (soldered)

and the upgrade path is to add any chip that is correct & supported up to 1024MB.

The last iBook G4 (mid-2005 series) has 512MB soldered on-board so if it has no

upgrade chip in the RAM slot under the keyboard, it would show 512MB installed.

With a total 768MB in the iBook G4 12" 1.33, that may imply a 256MB upgrade chip

in the slot under the keyboard and a 512MB soldered on the logic board. Or, it may

be that the logic board has 256MB and a 512MB upgrade chip was installed.

Also, the older iBook G4 12/14" has a PC2100 upgrade RAM chip instead of PC2700.

The older one that shipped with that spec for upgrade slot (and soldered-in RAM) can

use a PC2700 SO-DIMM but instead of being seen as that higher spec it would be at

the lower speed spec of PC2100.

So it is possible the upgrade chip is 256MB RAM. The System Profiler will show what

occupies the upgrade slot and also the spec of the on-board RAM. There are at least

two paths to open System Profiler (in Utilities folder) as one is via "About this Mac"

and another is from GO in Finder (choose Utilities folder) to look for System Profiler.

Other ways include using Find or Spotlight to search the hard drive boot partition.

By correctly identifying the PowerBook G4, you could hope to find the correct original

grey-label install restore DVD software kit; that should have a Hardware Test, a disc

with included Applications (such as iLife suite, AppleWorks, and so on) though the

iBook G4 (last model, mid-2005) original software kit has a fair selection included with

the Tiger 10.4 system.

With OS X 10.5.8 installed, you could use some later software; a few browser options

exist where the custom build only works in Leopard 10.5.x. There is a patch to help

the very obsolete Flash player plugin appear as a less obsolete 11.5. version; but it

still lags behind anything current. Web pages that support HTML5 can be seen in

TenFourFox, some YouTube content can be seen in version 24+ of that browser. By

default the plugin for Flash does not work. A few users here have suggested to go

and workaround that, to turn it on (old version -- whatever its compromised issues)

is possible. You can be careful what you choose to view or pages you visit, to some

extent, to avoid some kinds of problems. I use TenFourFox and SeaMonkey for PPC.

Older versions of FireFox can run in 10.4 & 10.5, but lack some fair upgrades.

I also have iCab, the last version supported by PPC hardware in either 10.4/10.5.

Anyway, thought I'd say Hi and hope things work out for you! 🙂

Jun 21, 2014 5:45 AM in response to K Shaffer

Hi,

I understand now. So long as the specifications are as advertised I don't really mind too much so long as it works. I'm going for the PowerBook first anyway... I'll only be bidding on the iBook if I don't get the PowerBook. The pc2100/pc2700 stuff doesn't really mean much to me... I probably won't be upgrading these laptops at all so I don't really need to know anything too technical, but it's nice to know just in case I need to... Is there any appreciable difference in price or performance between these two different types of RAM card? Unfortunately I don't have access to these laptops as I am buying them from eBay, and I can only really bother the sellers for information to a certain extent.

THe info on browsers and flash is really great thanks... Any of this type of info is very welcome, Thankyou.

LSRW

Jun 27, 2014 1:00 PM in response to Allan Jones

Hi everyone, I'm back...

Laptop's arrived and thankfully there's nothing wrong with it... it's actually in immaculate condition. I want to get one of those things that you can put the hard disk from another laptop into and then plug it into the USB or FireWire to transfer my old stuff across... will any one do or do I need to get a specific one? The hard disk from my old macbook is an SSD.

Thanks again guys,

LSRW.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.