Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 15' with Retina Display dirt stuck on the edge of Apple logo

Hi, I'm having some minor trouble with my MacBook Pro here.

Couple weeks ago I noticed some dirt on the edge of Apple logo on the lid. I have no idea how to take it off. I tried blowing on it with hairdryer (cold air, not hot). I also tried taking it off with a pin (didn't try too hard because I don't want to scratch my MBP) and I also tried to pull it out by taking air with my mouth (disgusting, I know, but I really want to take this dirt off my MBP). Tomorrow I will try to blow it out with air compressor, but I highly doubt it is going to work because the gap is too tight for air to come inside (at least not with enough power to blow the dirt off). How can I get rid of this dirt? Please help me, because it really bothers me, I'm a sick person.

Here's the photo of the dirt.User uploaded file

Posted on Jun 19, 2014 7:13 AM

8 replies

Jun 19, 2014 8:27 AM in response to HoTiC3

HoTiC3 wrote:

...Tomorrow I will try to blow it out with air compressor, but I highly doubt it is going to work because the gap is too tight for air to come inside (at least not with enough power to blow the dirt off)...

While the best advice would be to just leave it alone since it isn't affecting your Mac's operation, if you must use compressed air from a can, be very careful not to either shake the can or tip it while you're blasting its contents at your Mac; doing so while likely cause liquid to be expelled from the can and that will just make things worse.

Jun 19, 2014 8:50 AM in response to HoTiC3

Another thought. If simple air pressure would blow it out (I don't think it will), have you tried a Q'Tip or something similar? I believe some Q'Tip copies may use some form of plastic foam rather than a cotton tip, but either way, the Tip's surface would be very mildly abrasive, though not enough to scratch the rMBP's cover and scrubbing would tend to capture any particles which are a bit loose.

BTW, my own rMBP 2013 15" has had the back of the monitor exposed for over a year now and I don't see anything like what your image shows. Do you know where that came from and/or what it might be?

Jun 20, 2014 3:27 AM in response to FatMac-MacPro

I have no idea where that dirt came from. I really have no clue what it is, and it won't go away by blowing in it. I will contact local authorized store (there is no Apple stores in Croatia) but I highly doubt they'll be able to do anything without taking the laptop apart. Although I highly doubt it could it be rust from cleaning my MBP? I always put a couple drops of water on cloth I clean my macbook casing with. I have no idea if I am going to be able to do anything at all because the gap is really small, pin couldn't get to that dirt. I don't know what that could be, I never eat or drink close to my mac. Just my luck. What's Q Tip? Never heard of it since I live in Croatia

May 2, 2016 4:39 AM in response to HoTiC3

okay so I know I'm very very late but this might help others who also need help. What I used to remove bits of playdoh stuck on the edges of my apple symbol (don't ask how it got there) is the apple stickers you get with your apple products since they are very thin and they actually worked for me! use the sharp edge of the apple bite thing to scoop it out. It's hard to explain.

MacBook Pro 15' with Retina Display dirt stuck on the edge of Apple logo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.