Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Background Noise

Hello,

I need to reduce the background noise in my new short video. I have never done it before because I normally record the sound reasonably well, but this time my subject was not close, and I didn't have a radio mike with me so I used a directional mike mounted on my camera, and as a result I picked up quite a bit of traffic noise and such like. I have checked the FCE manual, which seems to suggest a number of audio filters are available to do this. However, it doesn't clearly specify which filter to use and how to do it. One of them, if I have understood correctly, is the Equalization (EQ) filter.

I will appreciate, as always, if someone explain what the best way is to do this without resorting to a third party background noise reduction filter.

Cheers.

Posted on Jun 19, 2014 7:55 AM

4 replies

Jun 19, 2014 8:47 AM in response to Indiestanbul

If possible, use an app that has noise reduction capabilities like SoundTrack Pro or Audacity. With either, you'd sample some of the noise only and then use that to filter out similar noise on the rest of the audio clip.

If you have a lot of patience and some skill you could possibly do it with an EQ filter (32 band recommended) by identifying which frequencies were noise and which contrained the audio you want to retain. Reduce the level of the offending frequencies and enhance the level of the frequencies you want to keep. However, be aware that those may share the same frequency range.

Overall your best bet for good results is a reshoot or do a voice-over (ADR) for that section of the video.

-DH

Jun 20, 2014 4:41 AM in response to David Harbsmeier

I have already tried doing a voice-over, but it didn't work, and reshooting the section will be quite difficult. The FCE manual doesn't tell you how to reduce the background noise with any filters. Wonder if you can explain how to do it with an EQ filter, or can you recommend a site where I can find it out by following instructions step by step?

Jun 20, 2014 6:50 AM in response to Indiestanbul

>>Wonder if you can explain how to do it with an EQ filter<<

Did that in my original reply: "If you have a lot of patience and some skill you could possibly do it with an EQ filter (32 band recommended) by identifying which frequencies were noise and which contained the audio you want to retain. Reduce the level of the offending frequencies and enhance the level of the frequencies you want to keep. However, be aware that those may share the same frequency range."

If you need step-by-step, then:

1. Apply a 32 band EQ filter to the clip.

2. Identify which frequencies were noise and which contained the audio you want to retain.

3. Reduce the level of the offending frequencies and enhance the level of the frequencies you want to keep.

4. CAUTION: the noise and the voice may share some of the same frequencies; reducing one will reduce the other.

-DH

Background Noise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.