Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Access server remotely

I need to access a mac mini server while I am away from the network. What is the easiest and best way to do that? I am on a macbook pro running Mavericks. And i believe the server is running Lion. Do I do a VPN? I have seen a mention of "Chicken of the VNC." I have googled and googled and cannot find instructions that will help me.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Jun 19, 2014 11:14 AM

4 replies

Jun 20, 2014 3:53 PM in response to KBBWDE

The safest way to do this is to ensure that you are safely communicating. This is often done by connecting via a VPN first. Once you are connected, then you can use ARD to remotely control the machine.

You can open port 5900 and allow direct observe/control via your public address. However, this is not recommended because of the possibility of exploit. Plus, unless you have a ton of public addresses, the use of the port forward will allow control of only one device. By connecting via VPN you then have access to all devices on your network.

VPN can be configured on your server as it offers PPTP and L2TP. If you have a firewall, you might have access to IP/Sec or SSL depending on your device.

Reid
Apple Consultants Network

Apple Professional Services

Author "Mavericks Server – Foundation Services" :: Exclusively available in the Apple iBooks Store

Access server remotely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.