Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The forum has lost its usefulness...

What where they thinking when this forum format was changed. Very hard to navigate and next to impossible to find answers to my posts. I guess I'll never churn these waters again.

Posted on Jun 19, 2014 7:33 PM

49 replies

Jun 19, 2014 8:03 PM in response to blueeos

We're all struggling a bit with the new layout. However, I suspect that, over time, we'll figure out how to do most things. It's taken me most of the evening but I think I finally figured out how to see which threads have new content.

How do I tell which threads have new content since I last visited?

You can always click the "Following" button at the top of a thread and you'll get email notifications of new posts.

Best of luck.

Jun 21, 2014 7:27 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

We're all struggling a bit with the new layout. However, I suspect that, over time, we'll figure out how to do most things. It's taken me most of the evening but I think I finally figured out how to see which threads have new content.

How do I tell which threads have new content since I last visited?

You can always click the "Following" button at the top of a thread and you'll get email notifications of new posts.

Best of luck.

Why should we have to struggle? Personally, I have better things to do!

Jun 21, 2014 8:05 PM in response to lizdance40

lizdance40 wrote:

Me neither.

how do you tell if a question has been answered?

i Always scan for questions with no responses to see if I can offer a solution.

this isn't a functional forum anymore.

If you want to know if a question from someone else has be answered, good luck with that. That said, it appears that any question/post you write, if answered, generates an email to you with a link that takes you to your posted question. I'm guessing the only reason the"rewrite" of this forum was approved is that the insiders were fully briefed and thought it was a good idea. The only thing they didn't consider is THE LEARNING CURVE. This forum is supposed to serve users of Apple products and it's NOT doing that. I'm betting on a massive change that might end making the forum look like it did before.

Right now is seems like a giant jigsaw puzzle and I'm not interested in playing with it.

Jun 21, 2014 8:06 PM in response to lizdance40

lizdance40 wrote:

how do you tell if a question has been answered?

i Always scan for questions with no responses to see if I can offer a solution.

A lot of the improvements appear to be intended to more effectively help those who come here seeking answers, and less for those seeking to help them. If you look at it from that perspective it makes sense.

Those of us who remain interested in helping will just have to adapt. There will always be helpful newcomers, who won't have to.

Jun 30, 2014 12:54 PM in response to blueeos

You probably know this trick now, but if you add "/content" to the end of the URL in the Safari browser when you go to the Using iPad forum, you will get a more customized view that looks like this. The type that you see in bold letters indicates that another response has been added to that discussion. You can see the. Liked, Bookmarked, Number of responses icon (the speech bubble) and how many people have viewed the thread.

User uploaded file

IF you tap on your avatar in the upper left corner, then tap on your username under the avatar in the window that pops up, you will be taken to a profile page where you can make several different selections. When I tap on Demo under the Steeler avatar in this screen shot that you see here.....

It takes me to this page where you can select from several different options. If you tap on the Content heading and then tap on Participated in the left column, you can follow the discussions that you have participated in. You can select the other options and experiment to see what they do as well.

If you long press on any of the headings, you can open those options in another tab and you can have different tabs open with the Using iPad page, your Activity Page, the Participated Content Page and tabs for any other forums that you participate in. I created a number of these pages and put them in a folder in my Safari bookmarks for easy access when I come back to the ASC forums.

User uploaded file

I Don't like this new forum any more than you folks but this is what we have now and I am learning to make the best of it. There are so many bugs and things that were omitted that it's almost laughable that Apple would roll this site out like this. In any event, this should get you started, I hope.

You can always check out the basic tutorial here.

Tutorials

OR or look for more help here.

Using Apple Support Communities

<Image Edited by Host>

Jun 22, 2014 10:23 AM in response to Demo

Excellent post, Demo! Very helpful explanation.

John Galt's observation is also quite interesting. Does put some perspective on things.

Some of us have been around for a couple of different forum makeovers. It's a lot like the roll out of a new version of iOS. It can be deeply unsettlining but it's generally not all bad. Things change. Learning how to deal with change is one of the most useful skills one can acquire.

Jun 22, 2014 12:59 PM in response to Demo

The pages that Demo pointed out can also be accessed by choosing 'Content' at the top right of the page. It took me all evening to find out how to cancel EMail notification to a thread I had been following. Don't ask me how that is done as I've already forgotten. It will certainly take time to get used to this new format. Personally, I think it was a step backwards. Hopefully, Apple will improve things that need to be changed as time goes on. In the meantime, if you need me, I can be found digging my way around the fine print!

Jun 22, 2014 1:09 PM in response to frazzm737

frazzm737 wrote:

It took me all evening to find out how to cancel EMail notification to a thread I had been following. Don't ask me how that is done as I've already forgotten.

Cick the check mark labeled "Following" at the top of the thread. If it's bright blue, you're following it. You can also go to Content on your own profile page, select "Following", then click on the gear at the right of a thread and click on Following.

The forum has lost its usefulness...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.