Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I opened an attachment in my email which was spam...

........and now I don't know if anything loaded itself onto my Mac. Is there any way to check or know if I've been infected? Haven't done anything on the machine since so can't say anything is strange. Thanks

Posted on Jun 19, 2014 9:58 PM

2 replies

Jun 19, 2014 10:04 PM in response to popsgoatee

There is no way for us to know what you may or may not have subjected your Mac to since we have no information from you concerning the email, the link, etc. Also, since you have not used the Mac since you clicked on the link, we cannot troubleshoot anything because we have no specific issues we can look at for you.

Post back later if you start to see issues. That is about all that can be done at this point.

Cheers,

GB

Jun 20, 2014 6:44 AM in response to popsgoatee

The majority of spam e-mail does not carry threats, and those which do are most often targeted at Windows computers, not Macs. You can help us see if you have any malware, but not when it was acquired. Please download and install this free utility:

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

It is secure and written by one of our most valued members to allow users to show details of their computer's configuration in Apple Support Communities without revealing any sensitive personal data.

Run the program and click the "Copy report to clipboard" button when it displays the results. Then return here and paste the report into a response to your initial post. It can often show if any harmful files/programs are dragging down your performance.

The program will also tell us what version of the iMac you have. This forum is for pre-2006 iMacs and most people post here by mistake because of Apple's insistence on using non-intuitive forum labels. If that happened, we can get you moved to a more active forum without your having to retype the question.

I opened an attachment in my email which was spam...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.