Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot create client updater in ARD 3.7.1

I have downloaded ARD 3.7.1 directly from the App store to my admin machine, but when I try to create the ARD client updater from the app, it says components are missing and the application appears to be installed incorrectly. Why is this ? I have tried re-installing but I get the same answer every time.

Posted on Jun 20, 2014 1:39 AM

13 replies

Jan 9, 2017 6:39 PM in response to Ashfield1955

This may not help at all, but I changed the directory to which Remote Desktop was trying to save the installer, and after a little trial and error, it seemed to create the file just fine.

1. File > Create Client Installer, follow prompts through the first several steps.

2. On the "Save Installer" step, click "Choose Other Location".

3. Create a new folder to save the file in (desktop didn't seem to work, or new folders on the desktop). The one I created was:

<name of hard drive>/Users/Shared/<name of a temporary directory I created>

I'm still having some issues connecting all the dots on my particular setup, but at least that one seemed to be successful. It seemed like I could then install/upgrade it on client computers from there.

Jun 23, 2014 3:44 AM in response to dwbrecovery

Yes, removed ARD completely, emptied the trash and re-installed. Same result, cannot create installer as 'components are missing and cannot be downloaded - the software appears to be installed incorrectly" This has been downloaded directly from App store !

I am constantly amazed that a company as large as Apple is quite happy to let us find solutions via discussions like this whilst not providing some sort of chat line direct to someone who should help. Support via Apple is appalling, despite there being this sprawling miasma of discussion groups. Apple, you should be totally ashamed at the mess ARD is in after upgrading to Mavericks. Surely someone somewhere should have checked how Mavericks and Bonjour get on with each other (or not as is the case).

Mark

Jul 1, 2014 7:19 AM in response to Ashfield1955

Hi,

I had the same issue just now. On the console of a machine with ARD 3.7.2 already installed and after updating Mavs. to 10.9.4. Been ok with ARD 3.7.1 on 10.9.3

- opened ARD -> error appeared requesting ARD to be closed and reopened.

- ignored and tried to create a client install -> failed with " components are missing and the application appears to be installed incorrectly"

- closed and re-opened ARD

- created client install and saved it with no error message and used it to install.

Thought I give you an update

Nov 3, 2015 9:24 PM in response to Ashfield1955

I got the same issue with a 3.8 fresh install on 10.11.1

I removed it via the directions on Apples site, restarted, then reinstalled it, restarted again, same thing happened.

I changed the "Would you like to customize?" to "No" and I still got the same message.

When I went to install it from the app store it was only 18M so I don't know if that was missing anything.

I am on a iMac27 i7(4X3.5Gh) with 16G RAM, 512 SSD (Bootcamp even split)

I did all this to try to get around, whatever the issue is with not being able to use Screen Sharing over messages to remotely connect to a client with issues. Messages refuses to connect with anything but text. No audio, Video, or SS, when over the internet, with any other Mac, at all. However FaceTime does appear to work. This is overall getting very frustrating.

Nov 4, 2015 4:16 AM in response to Ashfield1955

I'm also having the same problem with a completely new Mac Mini running 3.8 (380A95) on OS X 10.11.1.

With the freshly installed OS I went directly into App Store and bought and installed ARD.

I'm unable to create either a custom or default Remote Desktop Client installer. I'm getting:

An unexpected error occurred: the required components were not found.

The Application appears to be installed incorrectly.

Have tried to reboot a couple of times since I read in some thread that had helped people.

I'm just evaluating how switching to OS X from Windows in our small corporate environment would work...well so far I'm not impressed with the tools for administering clients!

Anyone has any ideas?

Dec 26, 2015 3:37 PM in response to Ashfield1955

I'm having this exact problem. On El Cap 10.11.2. (ARD 3.8 - 380A95)

I cannot create client installer no matter how many times I reboot, or restart the app. And no matter whether it's a customized installer or unmodified.

Other than restarting and rebooting some random number of times - is there an actual fix for this problem?

Does this app still work for anyone? I see it hasn't been updated since Jan 2015.

Thanks!

Jan 12, 2016 6:56 AM in response to Ashfield1955

I had the same issue, and found a solution that at least worked for me!

For some reason, manually installing the "Remote Desktop Client Shell 3.8.0" update from my servers software update data folder seemed to do the trick!

To get the update, (Assuming you have Server 5 installed), enable and download the update listed above. It is number 031-23124, and once you download it it will be in the folder.

/Library/Server/Software Update/Data/html/content/downloads/59/10/031-23124/x0sj4t1vbimv6h3ejhjzf3nwa6vt 9ekxgd/

Install that, and you should be all good!

Cannot create client updater in ARD 3.7.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.