0 Replies Latest reply: Jun 20, 2014 4:50 AM by marypurn
marypurn Level 1 (0 points)

Hello all,

I have an old Macbook from 2008. It runs MAC OS X 10.5.8, and when I try to install a software update, it tells me that I am currently up to date (which is, obviously, not true).

Before anyone rolls their eyes, yes; I realize that my computer is very old, and that that is most likely the root of the problem I am about to relate, but if it's all the same, I'd still like to see if there is anything I can do to save it before I go out and buy a new computer.

The problem is that I need to connect to the company server, and my Macbook does not recognize it. It's not that it doesn't have Internet connection; on the contrary, it's hooked up to the company's ethernet, it accesses the Internet just fine, and it even recognizes one server: a Mac. That is, it can see the shared drives of other Macs, but it cannot see the shared drives of any other computers.

One other condition for my computer that I should mention is that I am currently in Spain!

What I would like to know is the following: 1. Can my computer find these servers? Is it capable? Is there something I need to do? Is it a lost cause? If so, 2. Is it a product of being in Spain, a temporary arrangement, or 3. Is my Macbook a hopeless case?

Thank you so much for any responses!

— Mary