Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I WANT TO CONVERT A .MOV MOVIE TO AN MP4 VIDEO ??

IS THERE A CONVENIENT WAY TO CONVERT A .MOV MOVIE TO AN MP4 VIDOE ??

Posted on Jun 20, 2014 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2017 1:10 AM

Actually, there are many online apps can do the video conversion for your, such as zamzar, Acethinker Video Converter, mediaconverter, etc. They are totally free, and you don't have to download or install anything. Just import your MOV video, select MP4 as output format, run the conversion, that's all.

15 replies

Dec 18, 2017 11:15 AM in response to Ray Gibson

I read about this container thing. I wanted to keep a copy and not lose any quality, which is what ALL of the 3rd party apps made happen, without exception.

Then you are either using the wrong apps or wrong settings. Transcoding/exporting data changes it (often for the worse) while the Subler/MPEG Streamclip "Save" or "Save As..." option and selection of the MP4 target file type copies the source data without changing it (assuming the original data was compressed as H.264/AAC). The Smart Converter Pro app automatically checks the source compression formats and only converts tracks that need to be converted for MP4 compatibility—but only if the preferences are not set to force conversions. If your data is always being converted and you are using any of these apps, then either your source data is not already compressed as H.264/AAC data or your settings are incorrect. Handbrake always performs a conversion and so the amount of loss in visual quality is dependent on the settings/preset used. Basically, copying data should be faster than converting it unless you are downgrading the resolution and/or quality of the output. In addition, "Command-D" will duplicate an MOV file whose extension can then then be changed to ".mp4" in the Finder and thus retains your original MOV file copy you desire.

In my case I was am making animations on an iPad 3 and uploading to Instagram via my Android phone. As your reply (thanks) confirms, the whole process is a ridiculous crock of convoluted chaos!

If your iPad 3 animations are stored as H.264/AAC MOV files, then the problem probably is more of an Instagram processing issue. I don't use their service but suspect it may include error trapping on MP4 extensions in order to fully support HTML-5 based site programming. I've a similar problem with my website creation app which doesn't like my use of MOV reference files pointing to H.264/AAC MOV files stored online. By changing the reference file extension to MP4, the app accepts my files for "fast start" playback of remote server content while saving storage space on my own server—i.e., similar to the strategy used for embedding remote YouTube media content.

User uploaded file

Dec 18, 2017 9:37 AM in response to Ray Gibson

For older iPads it was not possible to save as MP4 and in order to do this I tried a number of 3rd party apps - all crap frankly, with poor quality on conversion. I needed to upload MP4 to Instagram as it doesn't accept .Mov

If the source MOV file contains H.264 video and AAC audio (as recorded by macOS and/or iOS devices) and you don't like the loss in visual quality that occurs when some apps transcoded the MOV files to MP4, then you can simply change the ".mov" extension to ".mp4" and avoid the transcoding process altogether. Alternately, if you wish to keep the original MOV file but copy its data to a new MP4 file container, you can use a third-party app like MPEG Streamclip (free), Subler ($), or Smart Converter ($) to remux the source data to a new file container without changing it in order to retain the original level of video quality. MOV, MP4, and M4V extensions refer to the file container. The same MPEG-4/AAC or H.264/AAC data can be stored in any of these containers but different apps may or may not be programmed to accept each type of container/extension. The same is true for HEVC (H.265) files with the additional proviso that the video "Sample Track Type" must be identified as "hvc1" internally.

User uploaded file

Dec 18, 2017 8:40 AM in response to Bangochamp

For older iPads it was not possible to save as MP4 and in order to do this I tried a number of 3rd party apps - all crap frankly, with poor quality on conversion. I needed to upload MP4 to Instagram as it doesn't accept .Mov

I found the best way was to use the free open source desktop app called Handbrake to convert all your videos from .Mov to MP4. This would work whether your video was made on older iPad (shared to desktop via iTunes, airdrop or cloud) or whether your vid was made on Apple desktop to begin with. It has taken me ages to find this out - what a convoluted process!! All because of competing codecs!

Dec 18, 2017 9:46 AM in response to Jon Walker

I read about this container thing. I wanted to keep a copy and not lose any quality, which is what ALL of the 3rd party apps made happen, without exception. And then I came across HandBrake. In my case I was am making animations on an iPad 3 and uploading to Instagram via my Android phone. As your reply (thanks) confirms, the whole process is a ridiculous crock of convoluted chaos!

Jun 20, 2014 2:05 PM in response to Bangochamp

IS THERE A CONVENIENT WAY TO CONVERT A .MOV MOVIE TO AN MP4 VIDOE ??

The element of convenience depends, to a major extent, on what compressed data is contained in the MOV file container and what software you have at your disposal.

For instance, if the MOV file contains MPEG-4/AAC or H.264/AAC compressed data, then you can use an app like QT 7 Pro or MPEG Streamclip to copy the compressed data from the MOV file container to a new MP4 file container. For most people, this may be the most convenient method of creating a "real" MP4 video since it does not require any conversion of the original source data and, thus, preserves the original quality of the MOV file.

If the MOV file contains other forms of compressed audio and video data, then you must export the source file to convert the data to compression formats that are compatible with the MP4 file container. Once again applications like QT 7 Pro, MPEG Streamclip, or HandBrake can be used to transcode data and select an MP4 target file format.

It should be noted here that MPEG-4/AAC and H.264/AAC compressed data normally plays equally well in MOV, MP4, or M4V file containers. Of the three, the MP4 file container is the most limited in terms of types of data that may be wrapped in the file container.

User uploaded file

May 31, 2015 1:01 PM in response to Jon Walker

Jon Walker wrote:

It should be noted here that MPEG-4/AAC and H.264/AAC compressed data normally plays equally well in MOV, MP4, or M4V file containers. Of the three, the MP4 file container is the most limited in terms of types of data that may be wrapped in the file container.

Wasn't MP4 based on the MOV container? Why is it that this container is the most limited when the MOV container was arguably the most open container (in terms of what types of data it could hold; not open vs. proprietary .mov format) ever developed? What are the most significant shortcomings to MP4?

May 31, 2015 3:02 PM in response to Raymond Riley

Why is it that this container is the most limited when the MOV container was arguably the most open container (in terms of what types of data it could hold; not open vs. proprietary .mov format) ever developed? What are the most significant shortcomings to MP4?

Am primarily referring to QT OS/IOS "programmed" support, or rather the lack thereof, for many compression formats that someone might choose to place in an MP4 file container using third-party software. The fact that the data can be placed in an MP4 container does not mean that it will play in QT on a Mac. I have no problem playing my H.264/AAC/AC3/Chapter content in MOV and M4V file containers on any current QT X/7 player but this is not true for an MP4 file containing the same data. QT 7, for instance, will no longer open the file even if QT X or VLC does. In a similar manner, MP4 'Tween slideshows created by iPhoto lost editing compatibility with post-HD 6 iMovie apps unless the 'Tween track was deleted by QT 7 Pro or stripped from the container by re-copying the AV data to a new MP4 container using MPEG Streamclip. There was a similar problem and solution for the opening and iMovie editing of MP4 files containing chapter or other text tracks. In short, I never said these MP4 files couldn't contain such data, but the fact remains that doing so may make the MP4 file incompatible with certain QT apps on the Mac—i.e. its "QT" use is more limited than either the MOV or M4V file containers on a Mac.

User uploaded file

I WANT TO CONVERT A .MOV MOVIE TO AN MP4 VIDEO ??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.