Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Higher resolution iPad screenshots?

I am working on a book about iPads and need to have screenshots of the iPad screen (apps etc) which are 300 DPI for printed book... is there anyway to do this?

I am SO hopeful someone has a solution for me! I am stuck with deadlines passing...

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Jun 20, 2014 9:18 PM

5 replies

Jun 20, 2014 9:21 PM in response to Gail Lovely

Want to capture what’s displayed on your screen? Simultaneously press and release the Sleep/Wake and Home buttons. The screenshot is added to your Camera Roll.

Source: http://help.apple.com/ipad/7/#/iPad62489e90

I'm not sure what the resolution is that screenshots are save in, but I would assume they are over 300 DPI. If you need to downsize them, you can import the photos to your computer and use a photo editor.

Jun 20, 2014 10:20 PM in response to Gail Lovely

The resolution will be whatever the iPad is creating, so a Retina iPad will have 4 times the number of pixels as a non-retina iPad.

You can probably find the correct spec for each model on Apple.com, a quick search found this…

http://www.theipadguide.com/faq/what-resolution-ipad-retina-display

It suggests a Retina iPad is 264 pixels per inch, at 2048 x 1536, or 3.1 megapixels.

A non-retina iPad is 1024 x 768, I think the iPad Mini is another set of resolutions too.

Take your screenshots with a Retina iPad & it should be fine, upscale the images if you really want 300dpi. You will probably need to convert to CMYK if this is a print book so add both tasks as an action in Photoshop or whatever image editor you are using. Then you should be able to apply that as a batch to take out the mind numbing process of manually doing each one.

Automator may also do a 'batch upscale', but tools like Photoshop support extra plugins that can provide better upscaling like…

http://www.ononesoftware.com/products/resize8/

If you use Perfect Resize 8 it may be OK to upscale even non-retina screenshots.

Jay-Ray, screenshots via Reflector on a Mac look worse than ones taken on the device, are you sure about the quality that Airplay streams? Perhaps it is my non-retina LCD causing it.

Jun 21, 2014 3:04 AM in response to Gail Lovely

This is a misunderstanding of the relationship between pixels and dpi. dpi is a function of the output device, not the source. A screenshot will be the same size in pixels as the screen the shot is taken from. The dpi of the printed representation of that screen shot is dependent on the output image size and the output device capability, and of course the ability to edit the output dpi using image processing software. For a simple example: if you reduce the size of the picture by 50%, the dpi will double. Increase the size of the picture by 100% and the dpi will halve.

Have a browse around here.

Higher resolution iPad screenshots?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.