Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I share an exFAT partition between OS X and Boot Camp?

I've just installed Windows 8.1 through Boot Camp on OS X 10.9.3. Now I want to create an extra exFAT partition in order to share data between the two OSs. Can I do so using the Disk Utility in OS X? Can Windows recognise this new partition?

Thanks.

iMac 21.5-inch Late 2013

OS X Mavericks 10.9.3, Windows 8.1

1TB HDD

Posted on Jun 20, 2014 10:36 PM

4 replies

Jun 20, 2014 10:42 PM in response to iJasonHo

Yes to both. exFAT can be read and written to by both Mavericks (as well as Mac OS X 10.6.5 or later) and Windows 8 (as well as Windows XP SP2 or later). Windows can recognize all partitions created by Disk Utility, even those with filesystems Windows can't read.

Edit: Niel's answer is better. I forgot to warn you that the partition would have to be on a hard disk different from the one you're running Boot Camp on.

Jun 23, 2014 9:54 AM in response to iJasonHo

I've got 2 storage partitions, bootcamp and OSX running on the same machine, internally i.e. all on the same drive. A total of 5 partitions, if you include the 200MB EFI partition.

Guide:

Attempting to edit partitions in OSX will break Bootcamp. Make sure to edit partitions in Windows. I used Partition Wizard (PW), I recommend you use it, Window's default partition editor is pretty nasty.

Before you start, it's best to have the empty space you want to use for your new partition AFTER the Bootcamp partition. So create your NTFS Win8 partition with lots of space so you can shrink it later. After you've got Bootcamp set up with the free space you're going to use for your FAT partition as part of your NTFS Win8, you're ready to go.

Shrink your Bootcamp partition with PW and then create however many partitions you like in the filesystem you need. Pretty straightforward

I'm running Win8.1 and OSX with my partitions in this order: OSX, Win8.1 (Bootcamp), 10GB Storage Partition (NTFS), 90GB Storage Partition (FAT32). All my partitions are accessible by both OSes.

exFAT is basically the same as FAT32 except you can have file sizes greater than 4GB.

System: MBP Retina 13" (Late 2013) 8/256GB

Can I share an exFAT partition between OS X and Boot Camp?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.