Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I already have 2GB RAM and I buy 4GB RAM, does the 4GB add or replace the current 2GB? (Will I end up with 4GB or 6GB total RAM?)

I currently have Mac OS X 10.6.8 and I wish to upgrade to Mountain Lion, but I have read that I need first to get more RAM. Seeing that you can't buy it from the apple store anymore, I have looked at buying from a 3rd party site such as crucial.com or eshop.macbook.com.

What I don't understand is If I already have 2GB RAM and I buy 4GB RAM, does the 4GB add or replace the current 2GB? (Will I end up with 4GB or 6GB total RAM?).

Thanks

Kirstie

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 2:19 AM

It replaces the current Ram, you'll have 4GB, but if your Mac is capable I would upgrade it to 8GB (2 x 4GB chips) and I would buy them from OWC (macsales.com)

4 replies

Jun 21, 2014 2:28 AM in response to ksjames

I don't recommend that, Macs run better with Ram in matched pairs, even if they can't use all of it (although it is cheaper your way). If you do buy just one chip ensure that it matches the existing 2GB chip in all parameters (except capacity of course)

Go to OWC and check what they recommend, buy from them, they are the best.

I'd buy 2.

Jun 21, 2014 4:18 AM in response to ksjames

You're right that some models will not take 8GB, and so should check with OWC.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Apple_MacBook_MacBook_Pro/Upgrade/Macbook_ selector

If you have one x 2GB module currently, then buying a single 4GB would add to it, for a total 6GB. If price is a concern, the 4GB (2 x 2GB) is perhaps $40 cheaper, and may well be sufficient, depending on the apps you use.

You can check exactly what is currently installed from the Apple menu at top left of the screen - About This Mac - More Info... - Memory

If I already have 2GB RAM and I buy 4GB RAM, does the 4GB add or replace the current 2GB? (Will I end up with 4GB or 6GB total RAM?)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.