Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Spotlight shows files / notes / ... of other users

Hello,

my spotlight search returns (sporadically, not always) files, notes, etc. of other users. I have iMac 27-inch Late 2012 with OS X 10.9.3 (13D65).

When I find results of other users, I don't have access to them so klicken on the results doesn't cause an action.

This occours on every user, not only system root. All privileges are default. I've found some google-results of users having the same problem just after a fresh install.

Some ideas? Is this a known bug?

Greetings

Sebastian

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 11:59 AM

8 replies

Jun 23, 2014 6:29 PM in response to BasKoeln

BasKoeln wrote:

This occours on every user, not only system root. All privileges are default. I've found some google-results of users having the same problem just after a fresh install.

You have the root user enabled? I think that is generally frowned upon - it can cause all sorts of permissions errors. I'd expect Spotlight to obey whatever the local permissions dictate (if it is working as designed).

I would try resetting the user permissions for the home folders and then follow Linc's tip for rebuilding the index again.

Backup before you begin just in case…

Boot holding cmd+R. Recovery mode should startup (assuming you have a recovery partition).

Select Terminal from the Utilities menu.

Enter the word…

resetpassword

… & hit return.

The GUI app will open, select the main boot HD.

Select your user account in the popup menu.

Then click the 'Reset' button at the bottom right. It will "Reset Home Folder Permissions & ACL's"

Repeat for the other users.

Quit ResetPassword from the menu,

Quit Terminal

Reboot

Spotlight shows files / notes / ... of other users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.