Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are my iBooks PDF-files after a backup restore from itunes

I did a backup of my iPhone 4s before installing the latest iOS. I wanted to do a "fresh" install, as the battery would´t last one day. As I had restored the backup, I noticed that almost all of my own PDF-files were gone. I have tried to recover them but they seem to have disappeared. I use my iphone to collect/store/make all sorts of documents and wonder if there is a way to get this stupid iBook app to synchronize the pdf:s with my computer. I am a little confused of the itunes backup thing, since it stated that it would make a "complete backup" of my phones content on the computer. Where are my files then? They were part of my phones content, now they are not.

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 12:11 PM

14 replies

Jun 23, 2014 12:58 AM in response to Community User

A backup doesn't contain any of your iTunes downloads, nor the contents of the iBooks, Music or Videos apps - it contains documents, files, camera roll photos, contacts, Safari history/cache/cookies, notes etc. (it's full in the sense that all of your third-party apps should be backed up, as opposed to an iCloud backup where you can choose which apps to back up). The restore picks up your actual apps and the contents of the Music, Videos and iBooks apps from your actual iTunes library, so they need to be in that for the restore to be able to be able to put them back.

DId you use the File > Devices > Transfer Purchases menu option to copy them over prior to restoring - as well as copying iTunes downloads over to your computer'a iTunes it should also have copied any PDFs and/or epubs that we're in the iBooks app (they should have copied over to the Books part of your library ; iBooks app if using a Mac with Mavericks on it). If they aren't in your iTunes library then the restore can't copy them back to your device, do you have copies of them elsewhere on your computer so that you can add them to iTunes (iBooks app if using a Mac with Macericks) so that you can retry the restore or just resync them ?

Aug 26, 2014 7:23 AM in response to MattKauf

What did you do between copying the PDF to the iBooks app and noticing that it was missing e.g. had you synced to your computer's iTunes and that had removed it ? If it's no longer in the PDFs collection in the app, and you don't have it in the Books part of your computer's iTunes library (in the iBooks app of using a Mac with OS X Mavericks on it), then do you still have the email with it attached to ?

Aug 26, 2014 12:11 PM in response to King_Penguin

Thank you for responding. Syncing while connected to iTunes and the Macbook Air doesn't seem to work anymore. Somewhere along the way I seem to remember that the only way to get stuff into iBooks other than purchased in the iBook store is to email or message it to oneself and then say "Open in iBooks." I have done that several times and a brief time later I go to iBooks,see the PDF file in the library and watch it as it "disappears" right before my eyes. I have deleted the email and the message that originally got the file to my iPhone because I'd rather not keep a protected file in more places than it needs to be. There is no option to "Save" the PDF file to the iBooks library, just to open it there. It is still in the iBooks located on the Macbook Air, it just seems to disappear from the iPhone.

Any ideas? Is there an iCloud component that has to be considered?

Aug 26, 2014 12:17 PM in response to MattKauf

You should still be able to sync PDFs and/or epubs as well as ibooks from your Mac's iTunes - what happens when you try that ?

If you have Mavericks on your Mac then you can add them to the iBooks app on it via File > Add To Library, if you don't have Mavericks then you can add them to your Mac's iTunes via File > Add To Library. When you connect your phone to your Mac's iTunes and select it on its left-hand sidebar (option-command-S) then you should be able to use the Books tab on the right-hand side of the iTunes screen to select and sync them to the phone.

When you use 'open in' the PDF should be saved to the iBooks app, that is what 'open in' does. Do you do anything with the phone after doing that and before you notice that they are missing e.g. have you connected it to your Mac's iTunes and your sync selection is meaning that it is being removed because it isn't in your Mac's library ?

Where are my iBooks PDF-files after a backup restore from itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.