Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I just updated to Mavericks 10.9.3 and am unable to send PDF to iPhoto: says"The following file could not be imported. the file is in an unrecognized format." Help!! Thank you in advance!

I have a Mac Mini and just upgraded to Mavericks 10.9.3

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 1:04 PM

1 reply

Jul 21, 2014 4:14 PM in response to steele warrior

iPhoto doesn't support pdf files. It never has. There used to be a feature in the older systems that would save a pdf as a jpeg file to iPhoto. Here's how to reestablish that capability:

Here's how to get any file into iPhoto as a jpeg file:

1 - open the file in any application that will open it.

2 - type Command+P to start the print process.

3 - click on the PDF button and select "Save PDF to iPhoto".

User uploaded file

NOTE: If you don't have any of those options go to Toad's Cellar and download these two files:

Save PDF to iPhoto 200 DPI.workflow.zip

Save PDF to iPhoto 300 DPI.workflow.zip

Unzip the files and place in the HD/Library/PDF Services folder and reboot.

4 - select either of the files above (300 dip is used for photos to be included in a book that will be ordered).

5 - in the window that comes up enter an album name or select an existing album and hit the Continue button.

User uploaded file

That will create a 200 or 300 dpi jpeg file of the item being printed and import it into iPhoto.

User uploaded file

I just updated to Mavericks 10.9.3 and am unable to send PDF to iPhoto: says"The following file could not be imported. the file is in an unrecognized format." Help!! Thank you in advance!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.