Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of "King Ilya" ads

I've been having these "King Ilya" ads pop up on Google Chrome. How do I get rid of them? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome, and there's nothing fishy in extensions. They pop up as new windows, highlight certain words as ads, and skew google search results with ads. At the bottom of some of them, it says "ads by King Ilya".

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 2:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 4:24 PM

The Safe Mac » Adware Removal Tool

Excellent site for help removing adware.

11 replies

Jun 21, 2014 6:10 PM in response to dianeoforegon

Thank you! I actually posted the same question on the Chrome forum, and got this response:

"Welcome to the Chrome Forum! I'll try my best to help.

Google Chrome does NOT put Ads or Popups in their Browser....!

It coming from something you've loaded.

Quote:"and there's nothing fishy in extensions." How did you determine this?

Try starting Chrome in " Incognito View". Click ( ≡ ) Then Click " New Incognito Window"

See if you have the problem there. If no.. one of your Extensions may be the issue. We can help you find out which one.

Let us know

The probable cause of your pop ups is a virus....

Do you have Anti-Virus Software.. try doing a full scan. A FREE one is available via http://www.avast.com/index

Try removing suspicious programs with " Add or Remove Programs" in Control Panel.

Let me know if this helps.

Gary"

I downloaded avast! and it totally solved the problem. Thank you for your response! 🙂

Jun 24, 2014 5:38 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn, note that you should never post links to Softonic. They are an unethical site that is known to wrap other people's software in an adware installer, contrary to the wishes of the people whose software is being modified in this way. See:

Continue to boycott Softonic

(Fair disclosure: The Safe Mac is my site, and contains a Donate button, so I may receive compensation for providing links to The Safe Mac. Donations are not required.)

How to get rid of "King Ilya" ads

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.