Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the highest OS I can update to on my power mac g5, model identifier powermac7,3

I have a Power Mac G5, Model Identifier PowerMac7,3 OSX is 10.5. I want to try running a CAD program I have been running on PC. I am new to Mac, and from reading materials here, i see that I can't upgrade my software to the latest because of hardware limitations. Can I upgrade the OS enough to load Boot Camp, and run pc applications. The processor is PowerPC G5 (2.20). Number of CPUs 2, L2 Cache 512KB per CPU, Memory is 5GB, Bus Speed is 1 GHz

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 7:12 PM

2 replies

Jun 21, 2014 9:26 PM in response to TROMBONE11

It isn't possible to use Boot Camp on a G5; the Mac OS X 10.5 installer won't put the Boot Camp Assistant on the drive, and if it's somehow put there, it won't run. The options available for running Windows on a PowerPC Mac are very limited, but you might be able to get the Q emulator or a Mac-specific version of Virtual PC 7 to work.

(108572)

What is the highest OS I can update to on my power mac g5, model identifier powermac7,3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.