Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't delete Time Machine backups.

Hi. I used Time Machine to backup my laptop (Mavericks OS X 10.9.3) onto an external hard drive. Time Machine created multiple backups over a period of time, and I wanted to delete some of the older ones to free up some space. However, I now have 5 different backups in the trash, and when I attempt to empty the trash (secure empty) the trash window pops up and counts over 200,000 items for deletion, but then disappears and deletes absolutely nothing. Now, the trash is always full when I connect the external drive. I tried to move the backups back onto the external, thinking maybe there were too many files for my Mac to handle, but the computer simply started copying the files instead of transferring them. I don't want to reformat the drive or anything like that because I don't just use it for backups and would lose a TON of other work (music, pics, etc.).

Does anyone know how to get the trash to delete these backups? It's not just that the backups won't delete, but I can't delete ANY other files from the external as long as those backups are in the trash. HELP!

p.s. Oh, and I did try holding the alt/option key while emptying the trash, but that didn't work at all.

Posted on Jun 21, 2014 9:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2017 6:11 AM

I have the problem that was originally mentioned. I am running macOS Sierra and in the Finder Preferences the option to "Secure Empty Trash" is not there.

I am running into this error everytime I try to delete the backup files "The operation can’t be completed because spindump is in use."

My external HDD is partitioned with Time Machine having it's own partition.

How do I resolve this?

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 9, 2017 6:11 AM in response to Maximalnomore

I have the problem that was originally mentioned. I am running macOS Sierra and in the Finder Preferences the option to "Secure Empty Trash" is not there.

I am running into this error everytime I try to delete the backup files "The operation can’t be completed because spindump is in use."

My external HDD is partitioned with Time Machine having it's own partition.

How do I resolve this?

Nov 10, 2017 3:31 PM in response to Maximalnomore

since we are now in Mac OS there is no option for unchecking "secure empty" in system pref and there is no "put back" function. So about 30 different backups are now permanently stuck in the trash... Does anyone have a current solution? I cannot manually move the items back to the external drive... "The operation can’t be completed because one or more required items can’t be found. (Error code -43)"

Aug 19, 2014 9:21 PM in response to tbirdvet

Sorry this is such a late response, but yeah, I figured out not to delete backups this way. Unfortunately, shift-option-command-delete didn't do anything either. So every time I plug the external drive in, the trash shows up with 5 different backups... technically 6, but one is greyed out and when you click on it, it says the creation date was January of 1984 *shrugs* so I don't know what that's about.

Seems like there should be a way to officially delete these. Why would Apple create a system that traps you if you accidentally move a backup to the trash?

Aug 20, 2014 4:26 AM in response to Maximalnomore

You could try putting them moved items back from the Trash, more recent versions of OS X even have a 'Put Back' command when you right click on the item.

If as advised you want to partition the drive so some space is used for Time Machine and some space is used for other things this may be possible if you have enough spare disk space. If you do you can launch Disk Utility, click on the Disk, click on Partition, and shrink the current partition and then add an additional partition. If you end up getting a new drive then this Apple document tells you how to move the existing Time Machine backup to the new drive Time Machine: How to transfer backups from the current backup drive to a new backup drive

The normal behaviour is that Time Machine will automatically throw away older backups when it is getting low on space.

You should not just drag stuff out of the Time Machine drive to delete them. The Time Machine works by having links between the backups so you might delete stuff you don't expect and don't want deleting from all backups. See this Apple document OS X Mountain Lion: Remove a backed-up item from your backup disk

Jan 18, 2015 10:06 PM in response to John Lockwood

Just a quick update/FYI. For anyone who may have had this Time Machine trash issue, the key is to NOT "secure empty" the trash. If you have "secure empty" turned on in preferences, under the Finder tab at the top of the screen, there is an option for "Secure Empty Trash". If you click Finder and hold down the control key, the option will switch from "Secure Empty Trash" to just "Empty Trash". If you empty the trash without the secure option, it does it just fine. So that's how this issue is fixed. I can now empty the trash while the external is plugged in (which I couldn't do before) and no other issues have occurred.

Can't delete Time Machine backups.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.