Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Facebook no longer works in settings but the app does

A couple of months ago, I changed the password for my Facebook account and when I looked on my iPad in Settings and then the Facebook part of the Settings, it now says "There was a problem accessing your account. Please re-enter the password for My Name:. It then has the Password field with required in grey. When I go and put my password in and press either Done at the top of the corner or Return on the keyboard, it keeps on bringing the message up with Error Signing In as the title and then The username or password is incorrect. My password isn't incorrect when I am putting it in. The strange thing though is that the app works perfectly fine.

I am completely stuck for a solution, I've tried resetting my iPad to see if it works and it hasn't. I've also removed the app and then re-install the app from the settings and signing in like I would normally do on my iPad.

This now also means that when I get apps that might require a Facebook connection, it won't connect because obviously according to the iPad, there is no Facebook account linked/the Facebook account isn't signed in.

Specifications

iPad 2 - 16GB

iOS 7.1.1

Printscreens

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Jun 22, 2014 2:03 AM

6 replies

Jun 22, 2014 2:10 AM in response to ferrarinufc500

Hi ferrarinufc500,

Seems an odd one, something has got stuck somewhere and usually resetting your iOS device or removing and re-installing the Facebook app should clear this. There is something you could try though it involves checking your Facebook account from a PC or Mac using a browser.

I'm guessing something has changed with your account security at the Facebook side.

Log in to Facebook and select Settings, then check your Security settings to see if App Passwords is enabled, it could be you have App specific passwords enabled on your account for additional security, if that is the case you can either disable this or should be able to generate a password for Facebook App on your iPad2

I'd also recommend checking to ensure you have the latest version of the Facebook app installed on your iPad.

Let me know how you get on.

Jun 22, 2014 2:28 AM in response to ferrarinufc500

Hi ferrarinufc500,

I don't believe Facebook treats the mobile versions of its apps in the same way as 3rd party apps linked to your account. In Settings when logged in to Facebook on your browser select Security from the left hand side, you should see the options for App Passwords and Trusted Browsers, check those settings.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

You might consider removing Authorisation for your iPad from the Trusted Browsers list, removing and re-installing the App on your iPad again and see if it lets you set up properly after doing that.

Jun 22, 2014 2:42 AM in response to ferrarinufc500

When I have gone into the app, and then gone into the settings within the app, I have tapped onto "Security" and I have spotted Third Party Authenticator, when I have tapped onto it, it has two sections and the first part says "On This Device". It then says "If you have a compatible app installed on this device, you can use the button below to launch and configure it automatically" and then the button has Set Up Now. Is that maybe what it is because in my opinion, I think that the iPad is a 'Third-Party' as such as it is wanting to connect to Facebook through a different source, should I see what it does?

Facebook no longer works in settings but the app does

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.