Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is "Reset Search" App?

I use a mid - 2012 Mac Pro; run Mavericks OS X 10.9.3. Please see Picture 1. I found a folder named "InstallMac" in my Applications Folder. When I double-clicked the "InstallMac" folder an Icon named "Reset Search" appeared. Please see Picture 2. When I double clicked on "Reset Search" a window appeared with the following alert: "This will reset your browser search settings! Would you like to remove (May require Admin permissions) IM Completer."

1. What is this application?

2. How did it get into my Applications Folder?

3User uploaded fileUser uploaded file. Should I uninstall/delete it using "AppCleaner?"😕

Posted on Jun 22, 2014 3:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 22, 2014 4:26 AM

You have to remove InstallMac adware.

Follow the instructions given here.

Remove Install Mac / Genieo/ Bing from Safari search

http://www.thesafemac.com/arg-genieo/

or use Adware Removal Tool.

Adware Removal Tool

http://www.thesafemac.com/art/

Best

16 replies

Jun 22, 2014 5:23 PM in response to Angel Llorente

Angel Llorente wrote:

2. How did it get into my Applications Folder?

You accidentally installed it there, most likely because you downloaded the installer for a third party app from C|Net's download.com or Softonic which included this adware. You should have been given notification somewhere in the installation process that the adware would be installed unless you unchecked a box, but many users never read those things closely enough to notice.

Going forward I would suggest you download your software from the AppStore or the developers web site whenever possible to avoid such things and always read what the installer tells you.

Feb 18, 2015 10:21 AM in response to Angel Llorente

The Search.app file is now firmly linked to malware pattern.

Detailed Analysis - OSX/Geonei-C - Viruses and Spyware - Web Threat, Virus and Spyware Detection and Removal | Sophos - Threat ... www.sophos.com/en-us/threat-center/threat-analyses/viruses-and-spyware/OSX~Geone i-C/detailed-analysis.aspx

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/search-results.aspx?search=OSX%2FGeonei-C&refine=7ed f01e4de3c4c8791a56ba6ce685d09

I discovered the app on a customer computer in late Jan,. On the 20th of January it was not seen as Malware but it is now. I took a copy of the installer and the installed file and I scan these samples periodically to see if they are known to be malware. As of today, 18 Feb, it is now seen as malware by Sophos Labs.

Jul 4, 2015 1:59 PM in response to MadMacs0

I also found the "Reset Search" App but in my Launchpad (using OS 10.8.5), couldn'y figure out where it came from but after a search with the IFILEX App I found it inside an "Oliverto" folder in my applications folder. Didn't know where that came from either! I did use the recommended "Adware Medic" to get rid of it however after the recommended restart the Oliverto folder was still there with the Reset Search App inside. I deleted the complete folder and hope it's all gone. This just to remind you that Adware Medic doesn't get everything.

Jul 4, 2015 2:18 PM in response to ott665

It should have in this case but you are correct that it's looking for it in the Applications folder itself. On thing you can always expect from Adware is that it will continue to evolve. In this case it probably has something to do with Genieo morphing into InKeepr or it could be a new Adware developer who is using the Reset Search app for their own purposes. I have not run across Oliverto before. Was AdwareMedic able to locate any other Adware components?

I let thomas_r. know about this and would normally expect him to update his app before the day is out, but it's a major holiday for us.

Jul 4, 2015 3:27 PM in response to MadMacs0

Yes it did remove other Adware components. The thing is Reset Search was in Launchpad however the Oliverto folder was in applications containing Reset Search. I did a google search for "oliverto app" and this strangely enough brought me to this forum topic where I found the suggestion for Adware Medic. So I think it is sneaky 🙂

Jul 4, 2015 4:15 PM in response to ott665

I searched for Oliverto here in the Forum and got a few hits on Oliverto Search since late May, some of which definitely implicated InKeepr (formerly Genieo). They also have a web site (oliverto[dot]com) that reads, in part:

Oliverto Installer is a delivery and installation platform (“Oliverto“) which performs and optimizes the installation of software applications (the "Software") developed and/or published by independent software vendors (“ISVs”). During installation, We may offer you to install additional softwares (the “Offers” or “Additional Softwares“), developed and/or published by other ISVs. In addition, We may offer you to change your homepage or your default search provider. You may decline any of our offers, including The Offers, and may decide to cancel the installation.

The "Reset Search" app is actually supposed to be the uninstaller app for all this, but if it works as previous versions it will leave things behind or perhaps even install something new.

The instructions for changing the Safari home page lead you to an Apple KB document. Their instructions for changing the Safari search provider leads back to a posting in this forum.

What is "Reset Search" App?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.