Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resize bootcamp Partition

Hello guys,

I have a MBP with a 750 GB HD. An year ago I used the boot camp assistant and successfully installed windows 7 creating a 100GB boot camp partition. Now the boot camp partition is almost full. I use the windows 7 inbuilt backup and restore application to create regular back ups and images of this windows partition.

I now would like to increase the space allocated for windows 7 to 200 GB. Please can someone tell me the best option considering that I have the following with me

1. A windows 7 repair disk created through the inbuilt back up and restore in the control panel of windows 7

2. A full image of the windows 7 partition using Back up and restore on an external HD and also on another location on a NAS just in case.

3. The original windows 7 install DVD. (I don't have it with me now but its somewhere in the house I shall have to look for it)

4. the OSX partition is always saved on a time capsule using time machine just in case it all goes crazy.

I don't want to reinstall Microsoft office, quicken and several other windows application again mostly because I will have to look for the original install DVDs.

I want to copy the current 100 GB windows boot camp partition as it is so that my windows 7 partition will look exactly the same but with extra space.

I don't want to purchase any third party applications if I don't really need them because the original OS has all the necessary tools I think.

As of now after reading several other forums on this topic I have come to a simple solution which I need to confirm with an expert or if possible a better one.

1. Start up the Mac in OSX and launch boot camp utility and delete the windows partition completely

2. restart the Mac and launch the boot camp assistant and reinstall Window 7 Clean. Now in this stage is it possible INSTEAD to insert the repair DVD created earlier and restore the windows 7 OS from the image saved on the external HD.

3. If repair DVD is not an option then after the clean windows 7 install I would launch back up and restore and then restore the PC from the image stored on the external HD.

Please could anyone confirm if the above is correct and especially if the repair disc in point no 2 is a possibility or not.

Cheers and appreciate all the help

Ran1978

Posted on Jun 22, 2014 6:06 AM

3 replies

Jun 22, 2014 7:19 AM in response to Ran1978

The Windows based back up utilities have not been very successful when used on a Boot Camp Partition. There is a Mac OS X based utility named Winclone that is your best bet if you want to save and back copy all the data. A simpler solution could be to use Camp Tune to increase the size of the Boot Camp

partition.

https://twocanoes.com/winclone/

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/

These coments were posted previously.

- I tried the native Windows backup utility. It worked to backup and restore my Windows partition, but I noticed a "bad" side effect. When I would restore a Windows Backup to my HD, it would corrupt my MacOS boot partition, so I would then have to restore the Mac partition as well.

- Windows 7 system backup and restore - Apple's goofy HFS read-only interferes with system and file backup.

- I have also used Casper, Clonezilla and Paragon but less regularly, Casper failed a few times, I stopped using it, Clonezilla worked but took forever (for me) Paragon (which I have only used twice) was the best but my sample is limited.

- I created a test Windows 7 x64 Bootcamp partition (not whole dedicated HD) in my Mac Pro running 10.7.2. and made a Winclone image of it. Then I tried restoring it in three different scenarios:

1. Restored it straight back to the partition I had imaged it from.

2. Wiped the hard drive the original had been on, recreated the Bootcamp partition with Boot Camp Assistant, and restored it to that.

3. Restored to a Bootcamp partition on a completely different hard drive.

All three restores have been completely succesfull.

- Acronis 2011 w/ plus pak, didn't work well previously

Ghost 15 - probably not

Casper 6 works for Windows on Boot Camp only

CopyCatX is more lengthy and sector copy so takes the longest. http://subrosasoft.com/software/copycatx

Paragon Hard Drive Suite 2011 because it works great

and they have CampTune

Resize bootcamp Partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.