Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to include photo descriptions in iCloud sharing?

When I share photos to iCloud, I find that the online album (stream) does not include any photo descriptions I have added in iPhoto (or any other "metadata" for that matter). As a workaround I have manually added a comment to each shared photo, with the text description being the description pasted from iPhoto, but that's a huge pain.

Has anyone found a better way to include photo descriptions in their iCloud shared photo streams?

I know iPhoto (I'm using version 9.5.1) does export this info, because if you export a photo and view its attributes in Finder, you'll see the metadata. It's pretty annoying because if you spend time adding custom titles, descriptions, tagging faces and places, it would be nice for some of this to be included in photos you're sharing with friends and family.

Thanks!

Posted on Jun 22, 2014 4:58 AM

8 replies

Sep 15, 2017 4:09 PM in response to Dave T 123

There is a way to do this. It's tedious and requires repetition for each photo in your album, but works great. Here it is:

Create an album and title photos

1) Create an Album in iPhoto

2) Add the photos to the album

3) Title the photos

Create an iCloud photo sharing album and add photos and titles

1) Click on the LAST picture in the set (iCloud puts the last picture added at the top of the page)

2) Click on the title and copy it

3) Click on the Share icon (box with arrow)

4) Click on iCloud Photo Sharing

5) Paste the Title in over the word “Comment”

6) Click on New Shared Album

7) Enter the title for the Album

8) Enter a description for the Album (type over the title it has automatically entered)

9) Click “Create”

10) Click the text of the next to last picture and copy it

11) Click on the next to last picture to select it

12) Click on the Share icon

13) Click on iCloud Photo Sharing

14) Paste the title in the Comment box

15) Click on the Album (it should be at the top of the list)

REPEAT STEPS 10-15 for each additional picture to add, moving backwards one picture at a time.

CHECK that your photos have titles by viewing them on your phone in your Shared Albums. You may need to click on “1 Comment” at the bottom of the screen.

Click on the People icon (Head in circle)

Click on Public Website. Copy the link. This is what you will share with others so they can see your titled pictures. Titles show up under the picture when viewing the Shared Album on a website, and will be in order.

Jun 23, 2014 5:18 AM in response to Dave T 123

So, it doesn't look like there's a better workaround for iCloud sharing than what I've been doing.

(I had no idea you could send feature requests from within the app - thanks Terence, I've done that, and hopefully enough others have that we'll see this addressed next release!)

I'll close this thread by mentioning the more drastic workaround I'm going with: not using iCloud for sharing when I need a lot of descriptions and other metadata. I'm planning to export from iPhoto, including title and keywords, and then post on Google+, which seems to read the metadata from the JPGs.

Jun 23, 2014 6:08 AM in response to Dave T 123

I'll close this thread by mentioning the more drastic workaround I'm going with: not using iCloud for sharing when I need a lot of descriptions and other metadata. I'm planning to export from iPhoto, including title and keywords, and then post on Google+, which seems to read the metadata from the JPGs.

If you are going to export from iPhoto anyway, you can send the photos using the Photo Stream as well. When you are sharing via PhotoStream, the Photo Stream will transfer the EXIF and IPTC tags embedded in the original file. Only, there are two problems with the embedded EXIF and IPTC tags:

1. The way you are seeing the photos in the PhotoStream album is misleading. The Info panel in the Photo Stream view simply is not showing the tags that are embedded in the photo. The only visible metadata are the filename. You will see the embedded metadata however in the Info panel, when you import the photo from the Photo Stream album to an event.
  2. And the Photo Stream will not add cations and titles to the shared images, that are not yet part of the original image file and only part of the edited version. But any tags embedded in the original file will transfer.

As a simple work-around to share the titles and keywords, export the images and use the titles as filenames. Then reimport and send via Photo Stream.

Jun 23, 2014 8:07 AM in response to Yer_Man

I hadn't used Flickr for years, mainly because I couldn't share "privately" without my family having to set up their own Flickr accounts. Apparently now you can.

And I just tested that sharing from iPhoto to Flickr does display photos' descriptions - it does. So Flickr looks like the best option for me then - thanks Terence!

(léonie, thanks for your workaround, it's interesting and worthwhile if you're sharing with other Apple-heads. Unfortunately my family all use PCs. I always knew iCloud wasn't the best option for sharing with them, but it was easiest for me.)

Dec 16, 2015 8:11 AM in response to JanAppleFanOne

Finally, I have pictures to share with people who all have iPhones. I thought I could just created a shared album, invite them, and enjoy interacting with them through the photos.

So I gave all of the photos and videos titles and descriptions that I knew they'd enjoy seeing along with the pictures.

It's INSANE that Apple doesn't preserve those in a shared album – nor does the current Photos app allow you to edit these fields for the photos in the iCloud. (It insists that you must copy from iCloud back into your library before making those changes.)

APPLE: PLEASE GET A CLUE.

How to include photo descriptions in iCloud sharing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.