Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Distorting solid freezes FCP X

I have FCP X 10.1.1

I have a 1.5 minute project in 1080p. In my project, if I drag the Gray Solid generator onto the timeline and then try to distort it, this freezes up FCP X every single time.

Anyone experiencing this behavior?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 22, 2014 10:45 AM

11 replies

Jun 22, 2014 1:29 PM in response to Russ H

Thanks, Russ.

I tried trashing the prefs and it didn't fix it.

Yes, it's on all projects.

What happens is I place the gray solid on top of another clip. I then click on the Distort option in the viewer and when I drag the corners, the corner and outline interface element move around the viewer as you would expect, however the gray solid is still filling the screen. It does not update it - it doesn't distort it. When I left go of the house button, the outline is left where I let it go, but the solid is still full screen. Selecting Undo does not undo. If I try to distort it again by grabbing the handlebars, it freezes.

I was able to bring in a bitmap from Photoshop and distort that just fine. It only happens with the solid inside FCP X, so far.

Very strange.

Jun 30, 2015 9:57 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

The project I had the problem in is a new project started today. The issue started with maybe three other elements sitting in the timeline.

I made a new event and new timeline and tried it again - it worked as it should.

I copied those two layers (background and distorted solid) and pasted them into the troublesome timeline. Still no freezing, even when adjusting it further.

Then I tried it from scratch in the troublesome spot on the timeline and it froze like before.

I'm fairly new to X, so I'm not sure what that tells me.

Jul 2, 2015 7:07 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

During further troubleshooting I noticed that when I hit the Snapping or Skimming buttons they would only stay engaged as long as I held the mouse button down, as soon as I let it go it goes back to being off.

Upgraded to OS 10.4.4 and FCPX 10.2.1.

Now I can distort a solid color, BUT it sometimes has a border on it and sometimes when I go away from it and come back it shows the distorted wireframe I adjusted but the color is full-screen. I go to the Video tab to see what's happening and Effects, Transform, Crop and Distort are toggled on. When I shut off crop and/or transform the border and/or full-screen color disappear and everything appears as it should.

Those items' (Effects, Transform, Crop and Distort) parameters are hidden, but when I go to click 'show' it already says 'hide'. It thinks it's showing the parameters when it's not. Clicking on 'hide' acts just like the Snapping and Skimming buttons, only engaged (though still not showing the parameters) when I'm holding the mouse button down.

I read in another thread somewhere that the Snapping/Skimming issue was cured by deleting ALL preferences, not just FCPX's. I'm not wild about doing that as it will certainly cause trouble in other apps, but unless another idea comes about I have no choice.

Distorting solid freezes FCP X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.