Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black dots in drop down menus and in previews.

I just upgraded my Mac to 10.9.3 and i have these weird tiny little dots appearing in my drop down menus and when I open an image in Previews. Actually, some images just look crazy in Previews with giant squares all over them. Any idea how to fix this? I have this same operating system on an older computer at work w/out this problem.

User uploaded file

OS X 10.9.3, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on Jun 22, 2014 12:58 PM

7 replies

Jun 22, 2014 1:11 PM in response to janack

Log out under the Apple in the Menu bar.

Do you see the same behavior?

Options:

Have you restarted after updating to OS X 10.9.3?

Download and run the combo updater to refresh your OS X files.

OS X Mavericks 10.9.3 (Update (Combo)

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1746

Boot into the Recovery Drive by holding down Command R when restarting.

Run Repair Drive and Repair Permissions in recovery.

Jun 23, 2014 9:18 AM in response to janack

Is it only Preview that you are seeing this problem? If no, then it could be a hardware issue. Make a Genius appointment. Troubleshooting and analysis are a free service at the Genius Bar.

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

I am already running 10.9.3 so am not sure what good that would do

Running the combo updater often fixes odd issues. It's easy to do and certainly don't hurt.

MORE INFO ON WHY RUNNING COMBO FIXES ISSUES

Apple updates available from the Software Update application are incremental updates. Delta updates are also incremental updates and are available from Apple Downloads (software updates are generally smaller than delta updates). The Combo updates contain all incremental updates and will update files that could have become corrupted.

Combo updaters will install on the same version as they're applying--no need to roll back or do a clean install. So if you think you've got a borked 10.9.3 install from a regular update, just run the 10.9.3 Combo Updater on that system.

"Delta" updaters can only take you from one version to the next. For example: 10.9.1 to 10.9.2. If somehow the 10.9.2 is missing something it should have, and that something isn't changed between 10.9.1 and 10.9.2 it will still be stale after the delta update.

Jun 23, 2014 9:18 PM in response to dianeoforegon

I went back and tried it with no luck. The dots are still showing up in menus and the previews of images are weird looking. So odd. I will have to check my warranty and see if I still have any left, I might. A really close friend of mine, and IT genius, recently passed away from a stroke a few weeks ago. I am lost with out him. 😟

Jun 24, 2014 10:41 AM in response to janack

I had a hardware issue that resulted in really odd screen issues similar to yours. Luckily my computer was still under Apple Care. You can review your Apple status here:

Check Your Service and Support Coverage

Make a Genius appointment. Troubleshooting and analysis are a free service at the Genius Bar.

http://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

Please report back and let us know the diagnosis. It will help us to know what to suggest in the future.

Black dots in drop down menus and in previews.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.