Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transfer osx to new mac

Ok so i have had my mac for nearly 10 years. I updated to snow leopard a while ago but I recently got a newer second hand Mac for free and would like to transfer the OSX from the old one to the other.

Mac 1 is the older of the two and is running 10.6.8

Mac 2, although newer is running 10.5.8

The problem is Mac 1's hardware is very outdated and now runs very slow

Mac 2, although also outdated is more recent and at this stage is fast enough to do the little word processing and web surfing i use it for.

Is there anyway to transfer 10.6 to my newer mac without buying it again?

Thanks

Posted on Jun 22, 2014 10:33 PM

6 replies

Jun 22, 2014 10:42 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

I'm afraid that's not correct. It is true for software purchased from the App Store, but Snow Leopard does not come from the App Store.

A. Single Use License. Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple- branded computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non- Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

B. Family Pack License. If you have purchased a Family Pack license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-branded computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household and used by persons who occupy that same household. By "household" we mean a person or persons who share the same housing unit such as a home, apartment, mobile home or condominium, but shall also extend to student members who are primary residents of that household but residing at a separate on-campus location. The Family Pack License does not extend to business or commercial users.

The only permitted installation on another computer is if it is first removed from the computer on which it is presently installed. Only the Family Pack license permits installation on more than one CPU.

Jun 22, 2014 10:49 PM in response to Schnidlee

If you got the Snow Leopard upgrade on an install DVD, here is an excerpt of the Snow Leopard licensing agreement:

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.

A. Single Use License

Subject to the terms and conditions of this License, unless you have purchased a Family Pack or Upgrade license for the Apple Software, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer at a time. You agree not to install, use or run the Apple Software on any non-Apple-branded computer, or to enable others to do so. This License does not allow the Apple Software to exist on more than one computer at a time, and you may not make the Apple Software available over a network where it could be used by multiple computers at the same time.

C. Leopard Upgrade Licenses

If you have purchased an Upgrade for Mac OS X Leopard license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer as long as that computer has a properly licensed copy of Mac OS X Leopard already installed on it. If you have purchased a Family Pack Upgrade for Mac OS X Leopard license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on up to a maximum of five (5) Apple-branded computers at a time as long as those computers are located in the same household (as defined above), are used by persons who occupy that same household, and each

such computer has a properly licensed copy of Mac OS X Leopard already installed on it. The Family Pack Upgrade for Mac OS X Leopard License does not extend to business or commercial users.

(Unlike the newer OS versions which are only available via download, OS versions which were distributed via install disks, can only be used on one computer at a time; so, as long as you will only be running it on Mac 2, you should be fine.)

transfer osx to new mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.