Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari black images background while loading

Hello.

I have problem in Safari. During web-page loading on places, there images placed i see black boxes. It looks like when image download in progress Safari displays black background of it. I noticed that it happens only with progressive JPEGs (this type of JPEG loads progressively from low-res image to full-res, so you firstly see low-res image, after a while a mid-res and when image 100% loads you will see full-res image). It happens all over internet sites, for example, right image on site below during loading have black background:

http://bbshowcase.org/progressive/

In any of other browsers images loads normally.

I found some topics in the internet about this issue, but no solution.

I currently use Safari v7.0.3 (9537.75.14) on Mac OS X 10.9.3 (Maverics).

I tested on another Mac with Safari 6 and found same issue.

If anyone can solve this, please, share the solution.

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 2:59 AM

7 replies

Jun 23, 2014 3:35 AM in response to SuperSonic45

No problem with those images loading here.

You're running 7.0.3? Is there some reason you have not updated to 7.0.4?

If not, click Software Update from your Apple  drop down menu or open the App Store. Select Updates from the menu top of that window.

Updating Safari may make a difference.

And try troubleshooting Safari extensions and plug-ins.

From the Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences then select the Extensions tab. Turn that OFF, quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that helped, turn one extension on then quit and relaunch Safari to test until you find the incompatible extension then click uninstall.

If it's not an extensions issue, try troubleshooting third party plug-ins.

Back to Safari > Preferences. This time select the Security tab. Deselect: Allow all other plug-ins. Quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that made a difference, instructions for troubleshooting plugins here.

Jul 13, 2014 7:00 PM in response to SuperSonic45

I have this issue as well and I am certain it is fairly recent for me. I have Safari 7.0.5 and 10.9.4 I do a lot of web work and am constantly optimising images so I use progressive JPEG a lot. There are threads talking about the problem from 2 years ago but it is a first for me. I note that on another machine with 10.8 and current Safari I get no image on the progressive until fully loaded.

Jul 29, 2014 8:02 AM in response to Lcuquejo

I have the same problem too. I updated my flash/java but no help. Safari is able to load images up to a certain size only. Beyond that everything is just black. I tried accessing the internet using my iPhone and the same problem. So it is unlikely my internet connection. I download Firefox into my MacBook Pro and it loads all images from webpages without problems.

I suspect the bug is in Safari

I am running OS X 10.9.4 and Safari 7.0.5 with no extensions.

Aug 1, 2014 11:04 PM in response to SuperSonic45

I have solved mine. My MacBook Pro was from 2011 and came installed with OS X 10.6.8. I have upgraded from OS X Lion shortly after purchasing it and OS X Mavericks in 2013.

I erase my hard disk and reinstall the original OS X 10.6.8 with Safari 5.1.10. Now I have no problem opening up large JPEG files.

I suspect that the older MacBook may not be able to handle the newer version of OS X/Safari even though the 2011 MacBook Pro was supposed to be "compatible" with the latest OS X.

My Mac works fine with 10.6.8 though the graphics may not be as good as Mavericks (subtle differences). I guess it would be better to keep to the original OS which should be able to work with the Mac perfectly.

Safari black images background while loading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.