Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pages Compatibility

Hi everybody,

i've created a document using Pages for iPad and synched it on iCloud. When i try to open it on my mac it shows a message telling the I need a more recent version of pages (if i click on infos on pages it shows i have 4.3). When i open Mac App Store to upgrate to Pages 5.2 it says it is already installed.

Does anybody knows whats happening and how to solve it?

Thanks!!

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 8:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 10:27 AM

You have 2 versions of Pages on your Mac.

Pages 5.2 is in your Applications folder.

Pages '09/'08 is in your Applications/iWork folder.

You are alternately opening the wrong versions.

Pages '09/'08 can not open Pages 5 files and you will get the warning that you need a newer version.

Pages 5.2 can open Pages '09 files but may damage/alter them. It can not open Pages '08 files at all.

Older versions of Pages 5 can not open files from later versions of Pages 5.

Once opened and saved in Pages 5 the Pages '09 files can not be opened in Pages '09.

Anything that is saved to iCloud and opened in a newer version of Pages is also converted to Pages 5 files.

All Pages files no matter what version and incompatibility have the same extension .pages.

Pages 5 files are now only compatible with themselves on a very restricted set of hardware, software and Operating Systems and will not transfer correctly on any other server software than iCloud.

Apple has removed almost 100 features from Pages 5 and added many bugs:

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=3527487677f0c 6fa05b6297cd00f8eb9&mforum=iworktipsntrick

Peter

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 23, 2014 10:27 AM in response to Alesiov

You have 2 versions of Pages on your Mac.

Pages 5.2 is in your Applications folder.

Pages '09/'08 is in your Applications/iWork folder.

You are alternately opening the wrong versions.

Pages '09/'08 can not open Pages 5 files and you will get the warning that you need a newer version.

Pages 5.2 can open Pages '09 files but may damage/alter them. It can not open Pages '08 files at all.

Older versions of Pages 5 can not open files from later versions of Pages 5.

Once opened and saved in Pages 5 the Pages '09 files can not be opened in Pages '09.

Anything that is saved to iCloud and opened in a newer version of Pages is also converted to Pages 5 files.

All Pages files no matter what version and incompatibility have the same extension .pages.

Pages 5 files are now only compatible with themselves on a very restricted set of hardware, software and Operating Systems and will not transfer correctly on any other server software than iCloud.

Apple has removed almost 100 features from Pages 5 and added many bugs:

http://www.freeforum101.com/iworktipsntrick/viewforum.php?f=22&sid=3527487677f0c 6fa05b6297cd00f8eb9&mforum=iworktipsntrick

Peter

Pages Compatibility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.