Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

'View More' bug

If I select 'View More' at the foot of a community page I get another page starting with the next oldest post - as expected.

If I go to a post then hit the (Safari) back button, only the first page shows again. However, when I click again on 'View More' I do not get the next oldest page but an older one.

This makes viewing older posts very cumbersome.

Geoff.

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 2:45 PM

20 replies

Jun 23, 2014 4:14 PM in response to GeeD

Howdy GeeD,

I had a mere hiccup clicking Load More - once - nothing like you describe though

I would like to see if I can recreate what you describe, but I need to be able to follow Your steps exactly

This is what I think is normal...

on the page:

Using Apple Support Communities

https://discussions.apple.com/community/using_apple_support_communities

at the foot of the is the LoadMore link

when one clicks Load More, what happens for me is...

the Load More link Jumps down what I'll call a line (like you had the curson on a line of text and pressed the RETURN key)

in its place I get the Spinning Gear telling me something is working

when the working is finished, some number of additional posts appears under the existing list (this behavior seems to the norm in many blogs)

when I scroll down, sure enough, there's the Load More link again

this repeats (I guess) ad infinitum until the last post is reached

Try the link above to see if you see the same results.If you do, come back here and give detailed steps you take to get your issue. Start as far back in the progression of steps as you can.

We then can (maybe) see what you see.

Good luck

Buenos Noches

ChitlinsCC aka J Jordan

Jun 24, 2014 1:55 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

ChitlinsCC,

Yes I get exactly the same behaviour as you report, which is correct.

The problem is that if say you press LoadMore once then double-click on one of the posts (to read or answer it) THEN use the Safari back button to go back to the list, only the first 'page' appears. If I then press Load More I would expect the second page to re-appear (so for example I can look at the next post to the one I have already looked at) BUT it does not load the second page but the third one so the list one now has contains everything except the second page. This is the bug.

Geoff.

Jun 24, 2014 5:24 AM in response to GeeD

I confirm that I am seeing the same 'page skipping' behavior when I follow your steps. In fact, as this very discussion is currently on the second set of discussions to load with the "view more" link, if I click on it from the list, return to the list view, & click on "view more" it is not listed.

Jun 24, 2014 5:50 AM in response to GeeD

GeeD

Same results as you. In Firefox so not a Safari thing

I cant equate this to pages - I could tell by:

1. last post before view more posted 2hours ago
  2. next post = 2 hours ago
  3. click IT (next after load)
  4. back button
  5. smae last post = 2hours ago
  6. view more
  7. next post = 10 hours ago = NOT the post clicked (1st next post)
  8. forward button = return to original next post
  9. back button
  10. same last post as in #1
  11. view more
  12. next post = 14 hours ago

CONCLUSION: Eeeewww! It's a BUG!!! Not only does one lose "page 2" but then pp.2&3, then 2,3&4, etc to the black hole

In theory, with patience, one could lose every post back to the beginning except what displays on page 1.

I am confident there are Hosts lurking... so, since we seem to have satisfied the Scientific Method, we should probably consider this a bona fide bug in Jive.

Sad part is, since Jive is a purchase - not a creation of Apple - APPLE can't do diddly-squat!!

I had made a thread to be a BugReportContainer, but everyone seems to like posting scattershot. Not positive enuff - but look what happened to Ian's thread

Say La Vee - Say La Gare

CCC/JJ

Jun 24, 2014 11:31 AM in response to GeeD

GeeD

Possible workaround...

When you are on a blog-like list with View More at the end:

Click the View more as many times as you want, yielding a really long list

Use that page as kind of a Base Camp

Instead of a plain Click on a link and BrowserBack to navigate, try CMD+Click to open a new tab w/ the target link

when done, close the Tab - voila back where you started

the link you CMD+Clikd will likely be Underlined to remind which you clikd

you may even find that you like this better, it is My Normal Workflow.

for what it is worth

buenos tardes

CCC

Jun 24, 2014 1:47 PM in response to GeeD

ALL Folks Viewing, Following & Participating

A bug is IMPORTANT - even a little one

I think that we need to do everything possible to call Hosts attention to this and every bug report thread.

To that end, I suggest that EVERYONE (that agrees) visiting here:

1. Click every Like you can - full post and every reply - shows a tally in a column in some views that is easy to see
  2. Click every I have this problem too you can

I am sure 😢 that Hosts pass them along top Jive directly

CCC

Jun 24, 2014 3:17 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

ChitlinsCC wrote:

I think that we need to do everything possible to call Hosts attention to this and every bug report thread.

The best way to do that is to use the Website Feedback (https://www.apple.com/contact/feedback.html) page. Choose "Website Issues" from the popup & make sure you fill in as much descriptive info as you can.

I seriously doubt the hosts pay any attention to the "Like" count, no matter how high it goes, & only if the "I have this problem too" count gets very large would it possibly draw their attention. The hosts' primary job is to keep the site up & running smoothly, so particularly right now I imagine they are very busy with that.

Jun 25, 2014 4:13 AM in response to GeeD

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for your original question. It stimulated some positive discussion.

Hi CCC, I have added your solution to a draft User Tip on how to get the best out of this new-look forum.

Draft (not published):

When I use the 'View More' button, then the browser 'Back' button, then 'View More' again, I do not get the next oldest page but an older one. This makes viewing older posts very cumbersome.

Click the 'View More' as many times as you want, yielding a really long list.

Use that page as kind of a Base Camp.

Instead of a plain Click on a link and BrowserBack to navigate, try command Click to open a new tab with the target link.

When done, close the Tab - and you are back where you started.

The link you command Clicked will likely be Underlined to remind which you clicked.

You may even find that you like this better.

Your comments to improve that draft are most welcome. I like the idea of a base camp. We can go 'home'.

Regards,

Ian.

'View More' bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.