Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just downloaded OS X mavericks, now iPhoto will not open or update

User uploaded file

I just downloaded OS X Mavericks and it doesn't support the old versions of iPhoto, but every time I try to update the application, I keep getting this notification. I did not buy this application, it came with the Mac. Even if I did, I used the same Apple ID I've always used. I have 130 GB of photos worth in iPhoto, please help me?

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 3:23 PM

5 replies

Jun 23, 2014 4:03 PM in response to Community User

This screenshot shows which previous versions of iPhoto are compatible with Mavericks. It also indicates which versions qualify for a free upgrade to iPhoto 9.5.1 and which require a purchase:

User uploaded file

Note 1: every day more users are reporting problems with iPhoto 8.1.2 so I've included it in the non compatible category.

Note 2: If your previous version of iPhoto was iPhoto 7 (08) or earlier you'll need to download and run the iPhoto Library Upgrader 1.1 application on the library before opening it with iPhoto 9.5.1

Note: if you bought your Mac used you'll have to log out of the App Store and log in with your Apple ID to purchase iPhoto. If all else fails contact support personnel via this link:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jun 23, 2014 4:05 PM in response to Community User

Please test after each of the following steps that you haven't already tried. Stop when the problem is resolved. Back up all data before making any changes. Keep in mind that no one here represents Apple or can help with customer-service issues.

Step 1

A purchased app can only be updated by signing in to the App Store with the same Apple ID that was originally used to buy it. There's no way around that limitation, which also applies to free apps. If you can't sign in with the buyer's ID, delete the app and reinstall it. You'll have to pay for it again, if applicable.

Step 2

If you get the alert when trying to update a bundled iLife app, elect the Purchases page in the App Store and locate the app in your purchase history. If there's a button marked ACCEPT on the right, click it.

If you have a used Mac, the bundled apps were linked to the original owner's Apple ID and can't be transferred to you. Reportedly, customer service has issued redemption codes to some second owners who asked, but it's not guaranteed.

Step 3

If you're trying to update iLife or iWork apps that were installed from a purchased DVD, or if you have a refurbished Mac bought directly from Apple, contact App Store customer service for a redemption code. You may be asked for the part number of the DVD.

Step 4

From the App Store menu bar, select

Store ▹ View My Account

Enter your Apple ID password at the prompt. At the lower right corner of the window that opens, click the Reset button. Close the window.

Jul 9, 2014 11:24 PM in response to Old Toad

hi again,

starting again. i think my last post failed. upgraded to mavericks but my iPhoto v9.2 is not compatible. i saw from your post that i should be able to access a free upgrade to 9.5 but so far no joy. User uploaded file

i go to the mac app store and have tried downloading anything that looks like a more recent version 9.2.3 , 9.3, 9.4.3 . the downloads seem to work fine, but when i try to install them, they fail. i then get a note saying that the version of iPhoto installed on this Mac must be updated through the Mac App Store. Check the Mac App Store to see if an update is available. Am now going round in loops. Any idea what my next step might be ? Thanks for any thoughts.

Jul 10, 2014 10:04 AM in response to Rio Man

i go to the mac app store and have tried downloading anything that looks like a more recent version 9.2.3 , 9.3, 9.4.3

Those updates are not in the App Store. You should be able to locate iPhoto 9.5.1 by launching the App Store application in your Applications folder, find iPhoto 9.5.1 and download it. It may give a price but when you click on it there should be an Accept button to click on and the download will begin.

Just downloaded OS X mavericks, now iPhoto will not open or update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.