Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot Partition or Create Volume in Disk Utility

I have a 3 TB disk that I used for video files that I now want to use for backup. So I wanted to erase and partition the drive to wipe it clean. So after going into Disk Utility and "trying" to erase and partition the drive, it now only shows the drive and no volumes. The problem is everything is pretty much greyed out and I cannot create or partition volumes. I don't know what I did wrong or what to do to fix it. I tried verifying and repairing the disc but that didn't do anything. The only buttons available are Verify, Info and Burn. What do I do to use the drive again? Please help, thank you

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 9:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 9:55 PM

Apple has not provided an easy way to recover from this condition. If you can connect the drive to a computer running Windows or a version of OS X older than 10.7, erase it that way. Otherwise see this thread.

2 replies

Cannot Partition or Create Volume in Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.