Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use time machine to only backup one folder?

I Want to backup only my photos as I have over 1.5 terabytes of photos (photographer) stored on my computer.

I don't wish to backup the rest of the computer.

I have tried to excude all other files however my 2tb hard drive is coming up saying its too small (it's empty). And that I need 2.24tb

however in about my Mac it says I only have 1.5tb of photos!

hope this all makes sense!!

Thanks for any assistance!

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 10:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2014 10:40 PM

I'd say you haven't excluded everything but the data you want to backup. Frankly, Time Machine is not the best choice for what you want to do. I would suggest using Carbon Copy Cloner 3.5.5.

5 replies

Mar 9, 2016 1:45 PM in response to qwertyuiopasdfghjkl asma

Short answer... No, "Get Backup 3" from the Mac Apps Store.

I'm looking for the same solution, (Or was). Basically I want to back up just one folder multiple times a day to a flash drive, similar to the way Time Machine does. BETTER YET! (Million $ idea here...) I would like a local cloud, i.e. I make a change, it updates my local backup on my flash drive to be in sync right then and there when I make the change (Like drop box does). The closest thing I have found is "Get Backup 3" on the Mac App store. You can choose an Origin folder and a destination folder and set it to synchronize the two. You can choose the direction as well which is great, : Folder A to Folder B, or Folder B to Folder A, or even Bi-Directional updates. You can also schedule sync times. I set mine up for close to the end of the day. It backs up and I leave my thumb drive at work in case my laptop ever gets stolen at least I have a copy of my files backed up (Network here is very restrictive and painfully slow).

It's much easier to use than CCC for your purposes.

Hope that helps.

Mar 16, 2016 8:04 AM in response to qwertyuiopasdfghjkl asma

I, also, was looking for a way to backup my pictures folder to an external hard drive. I use Lightroom (Lr) and keep all of my photos within one folder. I wanted a way to backup up this one folder to an external drive, but not have to copy the entire folder every time, as this took about 20 minutes. I have Superduper, but it is not very good, if at all, for this sort of duplicating/backup.

I recently discovered, DropSync 3, by Mudflat Software, and this simple, rsync based software, does exactly what I was looking for. So simple to use, even I could figure it out. It will copy over only those files that have changed since the last backup. Check it out, it works for me.

Can I use time machine to only backup one folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.