Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What if iPad Air has no retina display? What does this mean?

My iPad has no retina display. Someone told my that if it has no retina, it's not an iPad. I'm just making sure. It got me worried.

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 4:18 AM

11 replies

Jun 24, 2014 6:44 AM in response to Vivia_97

If its an iPad Air then it has Retina display. There is no iPad air without retina, in fact there are no iPads currently being sold (in app stores) without retina display. So if you bought it recently at an apple Store, it has a retina display.

Where did you buy this iPad? How does the guy know it does not have a Retina display?

What exactly do you have?

A Model number would be nice.

Jul 11, 2014 1:29 AM in response to Phil0124

we bought it at the only apple store at SM City Cebu, Cebu, Philippines. The model number is MD785PP/A , version 7.1 (11D167). my mom bought it for me last February as a birthday present. I kinda assumed that it has oh retina display because there's no small circle thingy that floats around the screen. it is really an iPad Air. my aunt bought a similar one but hers has the small circle thingy in the screen.

Jul 11, 2014 5:38 AM in response to Vivia_97

Vivia_97 wrote:

I kinda assumed that it has oh retina display because there's no small circle thingy that floats around the screen. it is really an iPad Air. my aunt bought a similar one but hers has the small circle thingy in the screen.

"Small circle thingy that floats around the screen"? There's no indicator that I've ever heard of that differentiates a Retina vs. non Retina screen. Sounds like maybe you're seeing the AssistiveTouch button? This is a white button that's re-positionable on the screen ("floats"). Tapping on it brings up the AssitiveTouch panel with commands that can be accomplished by using the touch screen of the device instead of using the actual hardware Screen Lock & Home buttons. You can enable AssistiveTouch on your device under:

Settings/General/Accessibility/(scroll down to)AssistiveTouch, select ON

Go ahead and enable it on your device to see if it's the same "small circle thingy".

User uploaded file

Using AssistiveTouch on your iOS device

In the above image, the AssistiveTouch button is partially covering the Passbook & Game Center icons

I have AssistiveTouch enabled and constantly in use on all of my devices to prevent wear & tear on the hardware buttons, especially the Home button. It has no bearing whatsoever in regards to the screen resolution of the device.

Jul 11, 2014 6:29 AM in response to Vivia_97

By the model number, your iPad is in fact an iPad air and does have a retina display.

As to the floating circle, I think SergZak is correct. What you are likely seeing is the Assistive Touch button which can be easily turned on.

But its not an identification of a retina or non retina display.

Its been available on all iPads since iOS5 I believe.

What if iPad Air has no retina display? What does this mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.