Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iDVD says burning correctly, but it's not

I am having a very annoying problem. I made a movie in Final Cut Express, exported to .mov and am trying to burn it in iDVD. I have been burning since Thursday. It says that it has burnt correctly, but a little over half way through a 2.5 hour movie it stops. It has stopped in different spots, but within a 30 minute area. I have checked the video in Final Cut Express. I have re-saved the project several times. I am confused. Thanks!

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 4:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 8:27 AM

How much free space do you have on your boot drive. It's strongly recommended that a minimum of 20-25 GB of free space be maintained when using iDVD. Also burn at the slowest speed available, 2X - 4X. Disk brand is also important. The workflow below gives the most recommended brands.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

So try to create a disk image of the project and if successful play with DVD Player. If all is well burn.

User uploaded file

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2014 8:27 AM in response to Thersa

How much free space do you have on your boot drive. It's strongly recommended that a minimum of 20-25 GB of free space be maintained when using iDVD. Also burn at the slowest speed available, 2X - 4X. Disk brand is also important. The workflow below gives the most recommended brands.

Follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD:

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

So try to create a disk image of the project and if successful play with DVD Player. If all is well burn.

User uploaded file

Jun 25, 2014 3:41 AM in response to Old Toad

Hi Thersa and Old Toad

My notes on this:

DVD doesn't play

Most common origin to this are:

Brand of DVD used - NoName, Memorex etc cheap brands might work as Data-DVDs - BUT NOT as Video-DVDs

Type of DVD used - I only use SL-DVD-R as they also playback on older DVD-players. DVD+R for newer DVD-players. Never ever DVD+/-RW. Dual-Layers usually creates more problems than Single-Layers

BURN SPEED - Very IMPORTANT factor - I never go faster than x4 - Normally I use x2

Material used - Video Codec, Photo and Audio file formats

Video-Codec: StreamingDV, AIC and HDV (I use)

Photo: .jpg - NO .bmp or other - all converted to .jpg first

Audio: .aiff 16-bit 48kHz or 44.1kHz (as on Audio-CDs) - NO .mp3, wma etc ailient formats - all converted to ..aiff 16-bit 48kHz or 44.1kHz first

Free Space: on Start-Up (Macintosh HD) Hard Disk - I never go less than 25Gb when doing Video-DVDs (for SD-Quality Video - if HD material is used 4-5 times more are a safe low level) (Other external Hard Disks - DO NOT COUNT as space here can not be addressed by Mac OS or iDVD for it’s massive use of .temp files)

Dusty DVD-burner Laser: I use a Cleaning DVD (no liquid but the one with brushes) from time to time.

Harmed DVD-burner Laser: Easy to do by burning more than three DVDs at a time - I let it rest for 30 minutes till next batch of three DVDs. If this happened - then only a costly repair will help. It will not heal by it self.

OBS: There are more than one Laser in the DVD-Burner so other functions might work OK as Playback CD/DVDs and even burn CDs. Still beeing broken.

Yours Bengt W

iDVD says burning correctly, but it's not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.