Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore apps/music on my iPhone?

I can't figure out how to delete my other question, so sorry to post another one similar. I saved everything to iCloud, had to reset phone and then am trying to restore everything. My contacts came back as well as everything in my Calendar. For some reason it doesn't copy any of my apps or music/playlists automatically? I see all of my apps in iTunes. How do I get it to my phone from my Macbook? Thanks in advance! 🙂

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 1:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 1:14 PM

Not everything is backed up to iCloud.

Connect your iPhone to your computer. Select in iTunes, then go thru all the tabs to select what you want to sync to the iPhone. Click Sync.

19 replies

Jun 24, 2014 3:43 PM in response to Rysz

Okay, I forgot about that. But I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong? I sync my music manually and unchecked a lot that I didn't need on my phone again, but none of my songs are on my phone after I've synced it? I have the download from the cloud icon next to ALL my songs on my phone, but not the actual songs. Things I'm trying/would really like to get back on are: specific songs, voice memos and playlists.

Jun 24, 2014 5:05 PM in response to Icelyn

Well, you should be able to sync directly from your computer (which will take less time than clicking on the clouds and downloading that way). When you go to iTunes on your computer and you hook up your device, on the Summary Device Profile page, do you have "Manually Manage Music and Videos" checked:

User uploaded file

If you do, uncheck that and try to sync again. That will get your music back. But I'm a bit confused. Were you able to do an iCloud backup before your restored your device? Because for the voice memos, you would either need an iCloud or an iTunes backup to be able to restore those. Music and Apps are not a problem because they are still in your library. But things like Voice Memos would only be in a backup.... (you can tell if you have recent backup right on this same screen - as you can see in the screen print above, I had a backup done to iCloud on 6/22 and to iTunes on my computer on 6/21. Do yo have anything recent showing on your profile screen?

Cheers,

GB

Jun 24, 2014 6:04 PM in response to gail from maine

I don't have manually manage checked, but I do have "Sync only checked" which I want to do.. ?? Apparently my iCloud backup DIDN'T go through?? I am getting so frustrated with everything lately. :/ I turned on iCloud on my phone for everything I wanted (photos, contacts, calendars) and then I synced to my computer. What else did/do I have to do to make it work? This is exactly why I've never bothered with the Cloud because it seems like you have to be a rocket scientist to get it to work. :-| As for the voice memos.. they are all right there in my iTunes library.

And a quick question: my iTunes screen used to show like yours above (like, 2 hours ago). But for some reason now it shows like this, which I wish I could see more like in your screenshot above. Thanks so much for the help everyone. :S

User uploaded file

Jun 24, 2014 7:29 PM in response to Icelyn

To address your issues one by one...

1. iCloud backups - I agree and use the iCloud backup as a last resort. Normally, I backup to my computer. Local backups are much more complete and faster to restore from;

2. iTunes screen - Go to View menu and select Show Sidebar;

3. Playlists - If you still see them in the sidebar (as you should), just select the ones you want synced to iPhone under the Music tab;

4. Voice Memos - If they are saved to your computer, iTunes would have created a separate category/playlist for them; you should see it in the sidebar.

Did I miss anything?

Jun 24, 2014 7:49 PM in response to Icelyn

Hi Icelyn,

As far as iCloud backups go, you should go to Settings>iCloud>Storage & Backup on your device (or devices), and under the Backup section, turn on iCloud backup. With this option turned on, any time your device is plugged in with the "Slide to Unlock" screen displaying, and connected to Wifi, an automatic backup to iCloud will be done. This will happen once a day if those conditions are met. (For example, I plug my phone into an outlet overnight to charge. The Lock Screen, of course, displays after a few minutes. I am always connected to Wifi. So, pretty much every night, my device contents are automatically backed up to iCloud without my having to do anything. (You also have to check the "Automatically Back up to iCloud" button on the profile screen Summary page in iTunes on your Mac).

Rysz indicated how you can see the sidebar again, by clicking on View at the top of the screen, and then clicking on View Sidebar.

If you did back up to your computer before you did the restore, then you can restore to your iTunes backup:

Restore from Backup

Just skip down to the section that says "Use iTunes".

Also, as you can see from my screen print, you can have your Automatic iCloud backups set up, and you can also back up to your computer. I normally have my Summary screen set to Back up to iCloud, but occasionally, when I hook up my device to iTunes on my Mac for sync purposes, I click the Back up to this Computer button, and back it up to the Mac. Once the backup is complete, I switch it back to Back up to iCloud (since that will create a daily one without my having to do anything).

One last thing I noticed on your Summary screen above. You have "Automatically Sync when this iPhone is connected". I would suggest that you uncheck that option. This allows you to go to initiate the sync when you are ready after hooking up your device to iTunes. Sometimes I want to change a setting on one of the Profile screens (especially Photos and Music), so I don't like any sort of Automatic Sync taking place.

If you have further questions, just post back!

Cheers,

GB

Jul 2, 2014 8:30 AM in response to Icelyn

Thank you everyone for the replies and info. I'm just going to piggyback off this thread since I have a new issue which relates to this topic. I am now going to have to send my phone to Apple and wait to get a new one. How will restoring everything to a new phone work? Is it possible? I plan to backup to my Mac and then backup to iCloud automatically before sending off my phone. Is there anything else I can do? Will I be able to sync my cloud to the new phone? Thanks!

Jul 2, 2014 8:29 PM in response to Icelyn

The automatic Backup to iCloud while screen is locked, device is plugged into a power source, and Wifi is active causes a backup to be done daily - automatically. Computer backup must be initiated. I do both. I have my automatic iCloud backup set up to back up my devices regularly, but I also will back up to my computer as you can see in my screenshot above. To me, having two sources for a backup is just insurance, if you will!

I would make sure that any backup that you do from your "old" device is a backup that is done with the most current iOS. That would be the only caveat I can see.

Cheers,

GB

Jul 10, 2014 3:34 PM in response to gail from maine

I got my new phone today and it wouldn't let me initiate a backup from iCloud due to the iOS being outdated (I had to get a replacement iPhone 4). So I set it up as a new iPhone but am afraid to touch the iCloud settings until the update is complete. How do I initiate the backup manually? I'm just worried that if I "turn on" the iCloud and backup settings that it will start saving anew and new bring back all of my old info. Thanks in advance!

How do I restore apps/music on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.