Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Earphone Mic Doesn't Work On Computer?

User uploaded file

So I can plug Apple's earphones with built-in mic into the headphone jack of my iPhone/iPod normally and be able to listen and talk on it. Why does this not work when I plug these same earphones into my computer and have them act as both the speakers and microphone? I've tried plugging into both the speaker jack and the mic jack of my computer, and the built-in mic does not seem to work.

More of a technical question; hope someone can clarify for me. Thanks in advance

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 4:55 PM

5 replies

Jun 25, 2014 8:16 AM in response to richie444

they work in newer macs in osx if people use bootcamp to run windows on their mac it don't work in windows

non apple computers don't work at all without a splitter

thing is the std. called 3.5mm minijack is only audio out

but apple and other phone makers adds to the minijack std by adding an extra connector for mic and button in stuff

because there is no std they all handle it in their own way and are not compatible

if you have a windows based laptop you need to buy something like this

http://www.amazon.com/Smartphone-Headset-PC-Adapter-01-PH35-PC35/dp/B008OB2NHA

to be able to use the mic (doubt the buttons will work though)

Jun 20, 2015 1:16 PM in response to oribali

oribali wrote:

Hi!

I have this y splitter thingy but it doesn't work on Windows (BootCamp). On Mac OSX it works I can use the mic and everything but on Windows the mic doesn't get recognised... Do you happen to know what the problem could be?

Thanks.

This is an iPhone forum. You're more likely to get help if you post in the relevant Mac OS X forum.

Best of luck.

Apple Earphone Mic Doesn't Work On Computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.