Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac late 2009 bootcamp stuck at blackscreen

So I am trying to install Windows 7 on my iMac late 2009 using bootcamp. Everything went perfectly until it restarted. Usually when it finishes making the partition it reboots and goes to the Windows 7 setup. However for me, It doesn't even go to the Windows is loading files screen, and it gets stuck on a black screen. I thought that the speed was slow because my installation disc was a dvd. But I have been waiting for hours, and nothing changes. Please help me. Sorry for bad English.

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 5:37 PM

14 replies

Jun 24, 2014 6:09 PM in response to Seigo@1224

Are you able to start back into OS X? You will have to use one of these:

A. Restart and after the chime press and hold down the "X" key until you see the Apple logo and spinning gear;

B. Boot Using OPTION key:

1. Restart the computer.

2. Immediately after the chime press and hold down the

"OPTION" key.

3. Release the key when the boot manager appears.

4. Select the desired disk icon from which you want to boot.

5. Click on the arrow button below the icon

Jun 24, 2014 10:29 PM in response to Seigo@1224

Then you don't have a valid Boot Camp partition. You may have removed it when trying to install Windows using the Windows formatter.

Open Disk Utility to see if it shows a partition for Boot Camp. Also, check that your existing partitions equal your drive's capacity. If it does, then you never had a Boot Camp partition. Try again. Next time I suggest you print out and read the documentation offered when Boot Camp Assistant starts up.

Boot Camp- Installing Windows 7 Frequently Asked Questions

Boot Camp - Installation & Setup Guide (OS X Lion)

Jun 25, 2014 4:30 PM in response to Seigo@1224

Open Boot Camp Assistant. See if you can delete this partition. If you can, then do so. Then re-add it. Go through the Windows installation being sure you carefully follow the procedures in the Windows formatter. It will display any number of volumes but only one is the one you created with Boot Camp Assistant. This is the one that must be formatted NTFS for installing Windows.

Before you start you should open Boot Camp Assistant and click on the button to print out the documentation. Read carefully before moving on.

Jun 26, 2014 9:07 AM in response to Kappy

So I will explain with more detail. My iMac is the late 2009 21.5 inch iMac with a..

Intel core 2 duo processor

4GB of

500GB HDD

So I followed the bootcamp guide which was made by apple. I opened up the bootcamp assistant and downloaded all of the software needed, and started partitioning the disk. I made about 40GB of space for my Windows side. After the partition completed, my mac restarted and started to read the DVD. However, I only get a black screen, and I can't get the Windows 7 installer to run. I thought I have some problems with my install disk so I used virtual box to see if the dvd works. When I used it on virtual box, the installer started and everything went fine. But when I use this for bootcamp, it did not work. I tried resetting everything, using a different installation disk, redo the partitioning, or boot up the disk by pressing the option key at the startup and selecting the disc. But none of them worked. I don't know why this is not working, since windows installed without any problems on my macbook pro retina. If someone was in the same situation or knows a solution for this, please help me. Again it is the Late 2009 iMac 21.5 inch model.

Jun 26, 2014 12:32 PM in response to Seigo@1224

You might see if this will help: Boot Camp- Windows installation boots to black screen with blinking cursor. I hardly ever use Windows, so it's been some time since installing it. But the few times I ran into any problem with the installation I would just start from scratch with it. In some cases I discovered that I saw nothing on the screen until I clicked in the screen to switch it to the Windows side. I should note that I was always using a retail DVD Windows installer. I never had any success with making my own from downloaded .iso or .exe sources.

Jun 26, 2014 12:58 PM in response to Kappy

Ok. So i don't know why it won't work. I am using the retail DVD and I still get a black screen. It is a black screen but it doesn't have anything, like words, cursors. And there was 1 strange thing I noticed. When I try to start the installation without a DVD it is supposed to display something like " no bootable device press any key to continue" but I get the same black screen , which I think it is kind of strange. Maybe my I have problems with my graphics or display? I don't really know why it is not working.

Mar 2, 2015 6:01 AM in response to hollebolle

There are several variants of this issue. These are due to GPU or Bootcamp Installation media issues.

Boot Camp: iMac displays a black screen during installation of Windows 7 - Apple Support

When installing Microsoft Windows 7 on an iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) and iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010) using Boot Camp, a black screen may appear. This can happen because the Windows 7 installer does not include the necessary graphics or Bluetooth drivers for your Mac.

Do not use a USB3 flash drive. Windows installers do not have necessary USB3 drivers.

Can you provide details of your specific situation? It may be better to start a new discussion, rather than posting on an old one.

iMac late 2009 bootcamp stuck at blackscreen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.