Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my vault so much bigger than my aperture library?

Ok, my aperture (latest version, 3.5.1) library is around 203 GB in size, and my vault is about 352 GB. My library is mostly managed files, with just a handful of video clips referenced. Why is there such a difference? Is this normal? Should I delete it and start a new one? It's killing my external drive that it's on.

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 7:44 PM

8 replies

Oct 6, 2014 10:08 AM in response to eterniti

I created a vault for the first time yesterday. My photo library is 40GB and my vault is 7MB, that seems very low.

A vault will always be created empty. You have to update it, to make a backup.

See: http://documentation.apple.com/en/aperture/usermanual/#chapter=27%26section=5

To update an existing vault

1. Do one of the following:
    • Choose Window > Show Vaults (or press Shift-R).
    • Click the Vault Pane button.
  2. Select the vault you want to update.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • In the Vault pane, choose Update Vault from the Vault Action pop-up menu (with a gear icon).
    • Click the Vault Status button beside the vault name.
  4. In the dialog that appears, click the Update button.

Feb 28, 2015 9:01 AM in response to sduck409

This may solve the confusion. I had a similar problem and it has to do with how aperture treats changes to preview sizes. It DOES NOT automatically change all the existing previews to the new specified size. When you change the preview size it just says "Oh OK so you want me to use that size from THIS POINT IN TIME.." To change existing preview sizes you need to select which masters you want to change and then force aperture to regenerate to the new size.. This article explains how..

Aperture: Previews do not update after changing Limit Preview Size Preference - Apple Support

I hope this helps a lot of people as I was looking for an answer for days on this too...

Why is my vault so much bigger than my aperture library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.