Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

slow mac mini start up after upgrading my ram

I have a late 2012 mac mini that i just upgraded from 4 g ram to 16 g ram, when i start the computer up it seams to take a lot longer than it did with the 4 g ram installed. it takes a longtime for the dock to show up as well the status bar at the top of the screen.

have i done something wrong with the install?

thanks

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 8:50 PM

13 replies

Jun 24, 2014 10:39 PM in response to @maclover

thanks for the help. my tones are good, i am going to try and reset the PRAM, the only other thing that i noticed is that when it starts up when it gets to the first grey screen with the apple logo it has the little spinning dash's and then the screen does somewhat of a flash. it almost looks like the screen is trying to resize itself.

Jun 25, 2014 11:51 PM in response to @maclover

Hi there.

I did some researching on the Crucial website and I've found that the RAM that you've purchased is not compatible.

If you go to this link: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct102464bf160b, on the left it should have a 'Check if this part is compatible' section. Fill in the information, Apple, Mac Mini models, Mac Mini (Late 2012). It will say that the RAM is incompatible.

See image below.

User uploaded file

Did you use the tool on Crucials website to find the compatible RAM?

Here is the link to the compatible RAM page for your specific Mac Mini: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-memory-for/Apple/mac-mini-%28late-2012% 29

I hope this helped, let me know if you need any more information.

Jun 26, 2014 6:40 PM in response to Beef_Jerky2000

i have been going over the site and i am sure that i have the right ram.

my mini is way faster than it was when i had the old ram in it. it was more of the startup that concerned me. but other than the main grey screen with the apple logo flickering the dock and system bar at the top are all coming in rather quickly.

i will put a call into the crucial company as soon as i can to see if they can confirm my product

thanks for the help.

this is the first time that i have tried improving my apple products myself and not going with an apple store.

slow mac mini start up after upgrading my ram

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.