Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I re-install the apple USB mobile device driver once it has been deleted?

Hi,

I was having issues getting my Itunes to recognize my Iphone 4s so I followed the apple support instructions here: iOS: Device not recognized in iTunes for Windows and it said to delete the driver software (Step 2 of Reinstall the Apple Mobile Device Driver). After I did that I have been unable to get any of the steps that follow to work. Is there any place that I can download the Apple mobile device USB Driver software? I have tried numerous things including re-installing Itunes multiple times but this does not appear to reinstall the driver software. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brian

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 8:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 8:26 PM

Try these steps:

1. In the Device Manager window, right-click "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and choose "Scan for hardware changes" from the shortcut menu.
  2. Locate the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver in this list. If the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is not listed, continue to step 3.
  3. Expand all the sections labeled below (not all sections may be listed):
    • Imaging Devices
    • Other Devices
    • Portable Devices
    • Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  4. Look for the entry that recognizes the device as a camera. This entry should be called Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, Apple iPod, or Unknown Device. (Verify the Unknown Device is the Apple Device by unplugging the device and scan for hardware changes again [Step 1] to see if it disappears.)
  5. Right-click the Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, Apple iPod, or Unknown Device entry in Device Manager and choose Update Driver from the shortcut menu. (Verify the Unknown Device is the Apple Device by unplugging the device and scan for hardware changes again to see if it disappears.)
  6. Click "Browse my computer for driver software."
  7. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer."
  8. Click the Have Disk button. (If the Have Disk option is not present, choose a device category such as Mobile Phone or Storage Device if listed, and click next. The Have Disk button should then appear.)
  9. In the "Install from Disk" dialog, click the Browse button.
  10. Use this window to navigate to the following folder:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers.
  11. Double-click the "usbaapl" file. (This file will be called "usbaapl64" if you have a 64-bit version of Windows. If you don't see "usbaapl64" here, or if there is no Drivers folder, look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers. instead).
  12. Click OK in the "Install from Disk" dialog.
  13. Click Next and finish the driver-installation steps. Open iTunes to verify that the device is recognized properly.
20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2014 8:26 PM in response to Community User

Try these steps:

1. In the Device Manager window, right-click "Universal Serial Bus controllers" and choose "Scan for hardware changes" from the shortcut menu.
  2. Locate the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver in this list. If the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver is not listed, continue to step 3.
  3. Expand all the sections labeled below (not all sections may be listed):
    • Imaging Devices
    • Other Devices
    • Portable Devices
  4. Look for the entry that recognizes the device as a camera. This entry should be called Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, Apple iPod, or Unknown Device. (Verify the Unknown Device is the Apple Device by unplugging the device and scan for hardware changes again [Step 1] to see if it disappears.)
  5. Right-click the Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, Apple iPod, or Unknown Device entry in Device Manager and choose Update Driver from the shortcut menu. (Verify the Unknown Device is the Apple Device by unplugging the device and scan for hardware changes again to see if it disappears.)
  6. Click "Browse my computer for driver software."
  7. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer."
  8. Click the Have Disk button. (If the Have Disk option is not present, choose a device category such as Mobile Phone or Storage Device if listed, and click next. The Have Disk button should then appear.)
  9. In the "Install from Disk" dialog, click the Browse button.
  10. Use this window to navigate to the following folder:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers.
  11. Double-click the "usbaapl" file. (This file will be called "usbaapl64" if you have a 64-bit version of Windows. If you don't see "usbaapl64" here, or if there is no Drivers folder, look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers. instead).
  12. Click OK in the "Install from Disk" dialog.
  13. Click Next and finish the driver-installation steps. Open iTunes to verify that the device is recognized properly.

Mar 22, 2017 8:51 AM in response to Community User

I am having the same issue - when my iPhone is connected to my laptop, it's not being recognized. I keep getting a message on my phone that says "Allow this device to access photos and videos?" that keeps coming up even after I click "allow."

I tried the fix that was recommended, but I do not have an "Apple" folder in my "Common Files" folder (in either the Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders), so I am not able to update the drivers.

How can I download this folder/driver so that I can update my mobile device driver and solve the issue I'm having?

Apr 5, 2016 11:17 AM in response to Jay-Ray

DUDE!

So we go to the iStore today and buy a cable for R400 which is around about $26 at the moment and NOTHING, I REPEAT NOOOOTTHHHIIIIIING happened.

And that was Apple's great advice that I freaking took.

THIS SAVED MY LIFE.

that is all

Jul 6, 2016 11:03 AM in response to fixitunes!

If your iOS device isn't showing in iTunes try the following:

1. Open Control Panel > Device Manager
  2. Plug in your device
  3. Locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.
    It is also possible the device may show under Imaging Devices, Portable Devices or Other Devices or as an MTB USB Device.
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software...
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software
  6. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
  7. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  8. Click Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
  9. Click Next, then Close and exit Device Manager

For step 3 above, open the device manager. Expand any of these sections that are listed.

• Imaging Devices
  • Portable Devices
  • Other Devices

Connect the device. You should hear the telltale sound of Windows device connection and one section should gain a new entry. That should be your device. It may not be labelled correctly at this stage. If you don't hear a noise suspect a damaged cable.

Or try If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support which is Apple's version of the advice above.

Failing that try a full tear down and rebuild of iTunes as set out in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates. 64-bit users could also try the alternate Download iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) build which is sometimes a useful workaround.

Or lastly try rolling back to the last build of iTunes that worked for you. See iTunes installers for download links. If you're rolling back from 12.4.0.119 to 12.3.3.17 or 12.3.2.35, for example, then you'll also need to roll back the library database using the method described in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. The tip includes suggestions for reintroducing any recent purchases so at worst you lose a few playcounts and/or a recently created playlist.

tt2

Nov 29, 2016 8:17 AM in response to Jay-Ray

let me remind u.The process u described is good but the problem is in my pc(win 10) itune doesn't install or make a folder of applemobiledevicesupport driver.so i can not pick the driver. I have tried unstalling and reinstalling itunes several time including deleting all related reg file still didn't work. tried with older version of itune, didn't work. reset my pc, didn't work. I don't have any option any more. My phone is also stucked.please help me finding the solution.

How do I re-install the apple USB mobile device driver once it has been deleted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.