Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get the quality of my movie to match the quality of the export?

When I export my sequence into a Quicktime movie the quality is much worse than it appears in the editor. More specifically, it looks washed out. Thanks for any support and information on how to resolve this issue.

Posted on Jun 24, 2014 11:59 PM

7 replies

Jun 25, 2014 7:31 AM in response to Alchroma

This is me, the questioner, on a different account. It's with that option that I have the problem. It's a better quality than the compression but still washed out. On a side note, wherever I export to Quicktime the file needs time to convert before I can view it. Maybe its that process that degrades the quality?

I've attached an image to compare the quality:User uploaded file

Jun 25, 2014 1:34 PM in response to Meg The Dog

It says it's Quicktime 10.3? I couldn't find where that setting is, the one in the picture.

I actually solved the problem by exporting a short sample of the movie with an additional color-corrector filter to counter the washed-out look that exported Quicktime movie was giving me until I got the image to be just right, then I applied it to every frame and each looks very close to its source in the editor. It worked really well.

Thank you all for the suggestions. This works for me, but as my method seems to be the "hard" way, if anyone knows of a more practical solution, answers would still be useful.

Jun 25, 2014 5:49 PM in response to ratinthehat0

To verify, this is with Final Cut Express, not FCP-X, correct?

You should have a copy of QuickTime Player 7 on your system if you have installed Final Cut Express.

It is sometime located in the Utilities folder on your computer:

User uploaded file

QuickTime X is not suitable for this kind of work. It is a general purpose player. I (IMHO) would not steer my color correction by what QuickTime X is showing me.

MtD

How do I get the quality of my movie to match the quality of the export?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.