Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using a breath controller in logic pro x

HI

has anyone ever configured logic pro x to work with a BC as to how to see the CC for the virtual instrument the same as for the BC

cos when i use the BC the volume of the VI goes down quite a lot

thanks

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 11:20 AM

19 replies

Jul 9, 2014 9:47 AM in response to Novice2011

Novice2011 wrote:

HI

as for the velocity setting in the inspector it is greyed out and no amounts can be set...

i Am looking in the right place? when in logic on the left where you set the transpose and the quantisation?

thanks

You will have two panels on the left make sure both are extended. There is the panel with the Quantization, that's the top panel and a similar one below that's for the track selected. Adjusting (add/subtract) velocity is done by left mouse button click/hold/drag right on top of the 0 with the +- signs.

This is Logic 9.

User uploaded file

Jul 9, 2014 12:47 PM in response to Novice2011

Hey, please ignore me completely, I gave you some incorrect information... was thinking of another program. The settings in the inspector affect playback only, not live input. Sorry about that.. Cubase has settings and Midi plugs that affect the input MIDI Stream. Logic-X may have something like that as well, something to investigate. MIDI Plugins?

What you need to do is add a certain percentage of MIDI volume (CC7) until the instrument feels expressive.

Jul 9, 2014 5:45 PM in response to Pancenter

I dunno what it is with this question,, anything else I've answered in the forum has been ok.

This statement is wrong as well

>>What you need to do is add a certain percentage of MIDI volume (CC7) until the instrument feels expressive.<<

What you need to add is a certain percentage of "velocity" until the instrument feels expressive.

Jul 11, 2014 2:44 AM in response to Pancenter

If you want a virtual instrument to respond properly to breath control, you will need to create an edited version of it. This is assuming it is not a patch that is already designed to be played by a breath controller.

Most, though not all virtual instruments are set up for velocity response, like you would get from a keyboard or a drum pad.

Breath controllers, on the other hand, give you lousy control over velocity but excellent continuous control via breath.

Breath controllers may be set to send breath control (midi CC 2) volume (CC 7) expression (CC 11) or aftertouch. Some simple ones don't give you a choice, some will allow you to choose any or all of these. Usually using only one is the best way to go, at least until you learn more about it.

So, while there can be much more to it than this, the quick and easy way to re-program a patch for breath control would be to disable velocity response (however that is done in the VI you are using) and set a fixed velocity, and then assign whichever midi CC (continuous controller) you are using to volume or level. Sometimes adding a bit of filter control can also make the patch more expressive, depending on the sound.

Then of course Save As....and rename the patch.

There are sound designers like myself and the much better known Matt Traum (Patchman Music) who specialize in creating sounds specifically for breath controllers.

If you don't want to mess with this yourself, pick a stock Logic patch that you would like to use BC on, and I will send you an edited version as an example.

I hope this helps. Welcome to the expressive world of breath control!

-Thomjinx

Akai EWI 4000s, Akai EWI 1000, Akai EVI 1000, Yamaha WX5, Crumar EVI, Lyricon

Jul 15, 2014 5:49 AM in response to Thomjinx

Thanks for that

the other problem I have recently found is that after closing down a newly done song with breath control used..

some of the other tracks shut down in vplume like a piano where no BC was even used ..

i then have to reset the track and all this takes time to do...

any ideas to why this should be happening..?

any advice is much appreciated

Sep 15, 2014 7:04 AM in response to Thomjinx

Hi Thomjinx,

I'm a sax player that has just bought his first EWI (5000)... and I'm very excited about it!!!

I want to use mi Logic Pro X sound gallery with my EWI and, looking over internet, I found this discussion...

Is possibile to receive one edited sound in order to use it as a starting point to build (or try!) my own sounds?

Thank you very much for your help!

mikigp

using a breath controller in logic pro x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.