Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Log and capture from Beta tape using Sony UVW 1800 betacam sp deck w/ Sony media converter DVMC-DA2

Hi guys I'm trying to log and capture from Beta tape using Sony UVW 1800 beta cam sp deck with Sony media converter DVMC-DA2. But every time I open the log and capture screen, it says 'no communication'

From Sony UVW 1800 Betacam sp deck to Sony media converter DVMC-DA2:

-S video cable, RCA video cable, Audio cable connected with RCA cable.

From Sony media converter DVMC-DA2 to Macbook pro:

-Firewire 400w/ firewire 800

FCP 7 settings:

-DV-NTSC easy setup

-Capture settings: Non controllable device

Sony UVW 1800 betacam sp Settings:

-VTR setting(Local/Remote) is on Local

Is there special setting needed for Sony UVW 1800 betacam sp deck?

If there's anyone knowing the solution, pls share.....!! God will bless you!!!

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 11:24 AM

8 replies

Jun 26, 2014 12:14 AM in response to Jessie Li

In the Log and Capture window, click on the Capture Setting Tab and set the Device control to Non-Controllable Device. This is because the Sony convertor does not connect to the remote control port of the Beta deck, and so FCP cannot control the device.

Because of this, you need to control the deck yourself. Cue the tape up before the area you want to capture.

Once this is done, just roll the beta deck manually, and once the picture is stable, click the Capture Now button. When you want to stop capturing, hit the escape key.

User uploaded file

MtD

Jun 26, 2014 6:28 AM in response to Jessie Li

Meg's post is correct BUT if you want to capture with timecode and device control which is important if you want to be able to recapture with frame accuracy you'll need to get a serial to usb converter cable. If you don't capture this way and your media drive crashes or you delete your media and need to return to the project down the road, you're out of luck.

If you need more details on exactly what you need, post back and I'll dig up the info.

Log and capture from Beta tape using Sony UVW 1800 betacam sp deck w/ Sony media converter DVMC-DA2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.