Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Crucial Memory 4GB crashed my Mac mini

Hello,

I need help. I bought 2X4GB Crucial memory to upgrade my late 2012 Mac mini ( currently 2X2GB ). However, after I installed the Crucial memory, my Mac Mini starts to crash when it reaches the login page. The display on screen will flicker and my Mac Mini will restart automatically. The cycle just repeats. I tried installing just one 4GB Crucial Memory and used the other with the original 2GB Memory Apple supplied. It is the same, it crashed as well. And it is the same for the other 4GB stick. I thought Crucial works fine with Apple that's why I bought it. Please help !!

User uploaded file

Attached picture so that you get to see the RAM sticks.

Please advice.

Thanks,

Darius

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 11:29 AM

14 replies

Jun 25, 2014 11:47 AM in response to iFatty

I believe the Crucial 4GB strip you want is CT3665819 which has similar specs. but is "designed for Mac". Before you do anything try to reinstall original Ram to make sure all is OK. If it is you will need to get the correct Ram. Mac's are very sensitive to Ram design so always be sure it states "for Mac". To verify, go to Crucial site and let it scan your Mac for compatibility.

Jun 25, 2014 12:14 PM in response to tbirdvet

tbirdvet,

I went to Crucial website as you suggested and did the compatibility check. It only suggested 4 options -- CT3650-284, 364, 362 283. Does this means my Mac Mini will only take RAM sticks from Crucial with these numbers?

I looked on Apple website and followed their suggested specification and it does not recognise them when I buy them? (=.=)

Does this specifity also applies to other RAM brands?

Thanks

Jun 26, 2014 12:00 AM in response to iFatty

Hi there.

You are the second person I have just seen who have installed the incorrect RAM for their specific Mac Mini model. I'm guessing you didn't use the RAM compatibility tool upon purchasing the RAM from Crucial.

I did a check on the RAM you say you purchased and tested it for compatibility with your Mac Mini, Late 2012 hardware and it states that the RAM is incompatible.

See image below.

User uploaded file

You can find compatible RAM at this link: http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-memory-for/Apple/mac-mini-%28late-2012% 29

I hope this did help, and if you require any more information please let me know.

Jun 26, 2014 12:54 AM in response to iFatty

Thanks everyone for giving in your advice.

Yeah. I didn't check before purchasing. Its my first mac, I only check the required specs from Apple Support website and bought this memory sticks since it fits perfectly with what Apple suggested. I did not even thought of Apple would be so picky that it needs specific batches as well as the existance of the Crucial Compatibility Tool.

Well, at least now I know. I just bought 2X4GB SK Hynix, I can update it here when I obtain the new ones, see if my picky Mac accepts it.

Thanks all !

Crucial Memory 4GB crashed my Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.