Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can you connect 4k monitors to MBA?

Is it possible to get the full 4k resolution from a 4k monitor connected to a mid 2013 MacBook Air(latest version of Mavericks)? Or do I need to purchase an external graphics card (or a MacBook Pro) perhaps? A mini display port to display port connector came with the monitor, but no Thunderbolt cable - I've got the Dell P2815Q.

Posted on Jun 25, 2014 12:11 PM

3 replies

Jul 12, 2014 4:51 AM in response to soopaman

I've done further research on this issue. Tried the online chat with Apple, but they say it is an issue for Dell. Tried Dell support - completely hopeless! I bought a thunderbolt cable which I believed was the same as a miniDP to miniDP, but that connection just gave me a blank screen with a brief message of "No signal". Went into a large Apple store in London to ask for help. They said thunderbolt cable is not the same as miniDP to miniDP, so maybe that's why that didn't work. They achieved 4k (with 60hz) on their Sharp 4k monitor out of the new MacPro via the miniDP to DP, but the guy helping me was sure they had to download drivers 6 months ago and remembers that it was not straightforward. Since then, a couple more releases of Mavericks have happened, so he thought maybe the drivers are there, but not sure. So we tried my MBA (which has up to date Mavericks 10.9.4 - it did offer me higher resolution than I was offered on my Dell 4k monitor, but it was portrait ratios, 1600 x 2500 for example, so it was distorted and only used 2/3 of the screen. We didn't have time to try the same with a 2013 MacBook Pro, which in theory should support 4k on a monitor. I am hoping to achieve 2560 x 1600 with the MBA & Dell I have. I tried out the Apple 27" display while I was there in the store, which of course instantly gave me that, but it costs twice as much and I want a 4k monitor as I'll soon be upgrading from my MBA anyway. Hope this helps anyone else following this thread.

can you connect 4k monitors to MBA?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.